SPL Linewidth Control
The current-controlled scanning probe lithography (SPL) systems that we developed (described in Chapter 3) can reliably pattern uniform features in organic resists with dimensions below 100 nm. In this chapter, we compare electron exposures made by SPL to those made by electron beam lithography (EBL). This comparison highlights the advantages and limitations of a low-energy electron lithography technique such as SPL.
KeywordsLine Width Proximity Effect Electron Beam Lithography Energy Density Distribution Pixel Width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (San Jose: Semiconductor Industry Association, 1997). Data also reflects 1998 update to the roadmap.Google Scholar
- A. N. Broers, “Electron and ion probes,” Proc. Symp. Electron Ion Beam Sci. Technol., 3–5 (1972).Google Scholar
- M. Hatzakis, “Fundamental aspects of electron beam exposure of polymer resists systems,” J. Electrochem. Soc. 121, 106C (1974).Google Scholar
- P. Rai-Choudhury, ed, Handbook of Microlithography, Micromachining, and Microfabrication: Volume 1 ( Bellingham, Wash: SPIE Optical Engineering Press, 1997 ).Google Scholar
- J. S. Greeneich, “Electron-beam processes,” in G. R. Brewer, ed., Electron-Beam Technology in Microelectronic Fabrication ( New York: Academic Press, 1980 ).Google Scholar
- N. Li, I. Kawamoto, T. Yoshinobu, and H. Iwasaki, “Experimental measurement of the profile of the field-emitted electron beam from a scanning tunneling microscope tip,” unpublished, 1999.Google Scholar
- [1.] W. M. Moreau, Semiconductor Lithography: Principles, Practices, and Materials (New York: Plenum Press,1988).Google Scholar
- N. Belic, H. Eisenmann, H. Hartmann, and T. Wass, “Geometrical correction of the e-beam proximity effect for raster scan systems,” Proc. SPIE 3676 (1999).Google Scholar
- M. A. McCord, “Electron beam lithography for 0.13 µm manufacturing,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 15, 2125–2129 (1997).Google Scholar
- [ 16]
- T. H. P. Chang, M. G. R. Thomson, E. Kratschner, H. S. Kim, M. L. Yu, K. Y. Lee, S. A. Rishton, B. W. Hussey, and S. Zolgharmain, “Electron beam microcolumns for nanolithography,” Proc. of the Internat. Conf. on Quantum Devices and Circuits, 3–15 (1997).Google Scholar
- D. Tully, A. Trimble, and J. M. J. Fréchet, Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, California, private communication.Google Scholar