According to Reynolds, Banks, and Murphree (1976), rural America includes people living on farms or in nonfarm communities of less than 2,500 residents. Twenty-five years ago such areas were home to 55 million people in the United States and that number had remained essentially stable for the previous five decades. The most recent census (U.S. Census Bureau, 1995) numbered the rural population of this country at more than 61 million people or 24% of the total population.
KeywordsHealth Department Public Health Issue Teen Pregnancy Public Health Program Unintentional Injury
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alan Guttmacher Institute. (1987). The financing of maternity care in the United States. New York: AGI.Google Scholar
- Cook, B. L., & Abreu, J. A. (1998). Alcohol-related health problems. In R. B. Wallace & B. N. Doebbeling (Eds.), Public Health and Preventive Medicine (pp. 847–860 ). Stamford, CT: Appleton and Lange.Google Scholar
- Fustenberg, E. F., Levine, J. A., & Brooks-Gunn, J. (1990). The children of teenage mothers: Patterns of early childbearing in two generations. Family Planning Prospectives 22(2).Google Scholar
- Hayes, C. C. (Ed.). (1987). Risking the future: adolescent sexuality pregnancy and childbearing. Wash-ington, DC: National Research Council, National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Kann, L., Kinchen, S. A., Williams, B. I., Ross, J. G., Lowry, R., Hill, C. V., Grunbaum, J. A., Blumson, P. S., Collins, J. L., & Koble, L. J. (1998). Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 1997. Rockville, MD: Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dash/ MMWRFile/ss4703.htmGoogle Scholar
- Koren, H. (1991). Handbook of environmental and safety principles and practices (Vol. II, 2nd ed.). Chelsea, MI: Lewis Publishers. Google Scholar
- Last, J. M. (1998). Public health and human ecology ( 2nd ed. ). Stamford, CT: Appleton and Lange.Google Scholar
- Nadakavukaren, A. (1995). Our global environment: A health prospective (4th ed.). Prospect Heights, IL: Waveland Press. Google Scholar
- National Safety Council. (1997). Accident Facts. Itasca, IL: National Safety Council.Google Scholar
- New York State Association of County Health Officials. (1999). 1999 Directory. Albany, NY: New York State Association of County Health Officials.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, R. C., Banks, S. A., & Murphree, M. A. (1976). The health of a rural county. Gainesville: University Presses of Florida.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. (1995). Urban and rural population: 1900 to 1990. [www.census.gov/population/ censusdata/urpop]. Google Scholar
- Zero Adolescent Pregnancy. (1991). Winning the war against teen pregnancy. Cortland, NY: Zero Adolescent Pregnancy, Jacobus Center for Reproductive Health.Google Scholar