Role of Angioplasty in Limb Salvage
Dotter and Judkins1 included three cases of infrapopliteal angioplasty in their 1964 report on percutaneous transluminal angioplasty. In 1986, eight years after Gruentzig’s report of the successful utilization of balloon angioplasty for dilatation of coronary artery stenoses, the use of these more refined systems designed for small-caliber vessels was reported for the management of chronic infrapopliteal atherosclerosis.2 The development of sophisticated devices for the percutaneous management of infrapopliteal disease has resulted in significantly improved technical and clinical success rates. These improved results have helped broaden the indications for percutaneous intervention for chronic atherosclerotic disease in the distal popliteal artery and infrapopliteal arteries.
KeywordsBalloon Angioplasty Patency Rate Limb Salvage Intermittent Claudication Clinical Success Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schwarten DE: Extracranial uses for the “steer-able” coronary balloon angioplasty systems, Ann Radiol 299: 1209, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Jagust MB, Sos TA: Infrapopliteal revascularization. In Baum S, Pentecost MJ, editors: Abrams angiography interventional radiology, Boston, 1997, Little Brown, pp 284–293.Google Scholar
- 8.Perler BA, Osterman FA, Mitchell S: Balloon dilatation versus surgical revision of infrainguinal autogenous vein graft stenosis: long term follow up, J Cardiovasc Surg 31: 656–661, 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.Schwarten DE: Clinical and anatomic considerations for nonoperative therapy in tibial disease and the results of angioplasty, Circulation 83 (suppl I): 186–190, 1991.Google Scholar
- 14.Brown KT, Schoenberg NY, Moore ED, Saddekni S: Percutaneous angioplasty of infrapopliteal vessels: preliminary results and technical considerations, Radiology 69: 75–78, 1988.Google Scholar
- 17.Bakal CW, Cynamon J, Sprayregen S et al: Infrapopliteal artery angioplasty: followup and factors influencing clinical response in 53 patients. Presented at the 17th annual meeting of the Society of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Washington, DC, April 1992.Google Scholar