The Response of the Bladder Smooth Muscle to Increased Bladder Neck Resistance
The following series of studies are the result of a long association with the Division of Pediatric Urology at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. This division, since its inception, was headed by Dr. John W. Duckett. John’s innovative skills as a surgeon and his quest to improve the outcome of the children in his care led him to initiate a fellowship program to train the next generation of pediatric urologists. It has been a privilege to be a part of this program and to know and work with John Duckett. This chapter is respectfully dedicated to his memory and to his wonderful legacy to Pediatric Urology.
KeywordsCollagen Fiber Outlet Obstruction Bladder Wall Muscle Bundle Neurogenic Bladder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cass, S.C. and Hinman, F. 1976. Constant urethral flow in female dog. II. Effect of constriction of vesical neck and extemal meatus. J Urol., 99: 447–454.Google Scholar
- 5.Nielsen, KK, Andersen, CB, Petersen, LK, Oxlund, H and Nordling, J. 1995. Morphological, stereological and biochemical analysis of the mini-pig urinary bladder after chronic outflow obstruction and after recovery from obstruction. Neurourology and urodynamics, 14: 269–284.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Elbadawi, A. 1995. Pathology and pathophysiology of detrusor in incontinence., Urologic Clinics of North American, 22: 499–512.Google Scholar
- 7.Levin, RL. 1996. Developmental Aspects of urinary bladder physiology and pharmacology. In: Dialogues in Pediatric Urology, ed, Richard Ehrlich, William J. Miller Assoc., Inc, Pearl River, New York, pp. 2–3.Google Scholar
- 11.Ewalt DH. Howard PS. Blyth B. Snyder HM 3d. Duckett JW. Levin RM. Macarak EJ. 1992. Is lamina propria matrix responsible for normal bladder compliance?. J Urol., /48: 544–549.Google Scholar
- 12.Deveaud, CM, Macarak, EJ, Kucich, U, Ewalt, DH, Abrams, WR and Howard, PS. 1998. Molecular analysis of collagens in bladder fibrosis., J. Urol., (In Press).Google Scholar
- 13.Chang, SL, Howard, PS and Macarak, EJ. 1998. Role of type III collagen in bladder filling. Neurology and urodynamics, 17 (In Press).Google Scholar
- 14.Keene DR, Sakai LY, Bachinger HP and Burgeson RE. 1987. Type Ill collagen can be present on banded collagen fibrils regardless of fibril diameter. Journal of Cell Biology. /05: 2393–2402.Google Scholar
- 16.Liw, X, Wu, H, Byrne, M, Krane, S and Jaenisch, R. 1997. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 94: 1852–1856Google Scholar