The practical application of RF integration in the front end of cellular telephones is discussed. The varying requirements of an integration technology are identified based on generic system architectures and examples of commercially available integrated components are given. A thin film passive integration technology on Si is presented and an integrated 1.3 GHz phase locked loop module is evaluated.
KeywordsSurface Acoustic Wave Integration Technology Passive Component Cellular Telephone Multichip Module
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- see for example, G.Heftman, “Are wild times ahead for wireless in 1999?”, Microwaves and RF, Dec 1998, pp 35.Google Scholar
- see for example, Philips Semiconductor HandbookGoogle Scholar
- S.Heguri and H.Nakata, “Mobile equipment depends on smaller, better SAW filters”, AEI, Oct 1997, pp 68.Google Scholar
- H. Tsumori, “Multilayer ceramics make mobile equipment more mobile”, AEI, May 1998, pp 301.Google Scholar
- for overview, visit http://www.dupont.com/mcm/
- D.C.Benson, Y.Xuan, J.He, C-M.Lin, C.R.Hodges, E.A.Logan, T.M.Schaefer, and B.K.Gilbert, “Integrated passive components for RF applications”, Proc. 1997 Int. Wireless Comm. Conf. pp 175 (Denver, 1997 ).Google Scholar
- R.Frye, K.Tai, M.Lau and A.Lin, “Si-on-Si MCM’s with integrated passive components”, Proc. IEEE Multichip Module Conf., pp 155 (Santa Cruz, 1992 ).Google Scholar
- P.Pieters, S.Brebels and E.Beyne, “Integration of passive components for microwave filters in MCM-D”, 6th Int. Conf. and Exhibition on Multichip Modules, ( Denver, 1997 )Google Scholar
- M.A. de Samber, N.J.Pulsford, M. van Delden and R.F.Milsom, “Low complexity MCM-D technology for high frequency applications”, Proc 1998 Int. Conf. Multi-Chip Modules and High Density Packaging (Denver 1998 ).Google Scholar
- J.N.Burghartz “Progress in RF inductors on Si — understanding substrate losses”, 1998 Int. Electr. Dev. Meeting (San Francisco 1998).Google Scholar
- R.F.Milsom “Electromagnetic simulation of passive IC’s”, Philips J. Research, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp 449 (1998).Google Scholar