Haemovigilance: An Approach to Risk Management and Control
Risk management in blood transfusion centres around the patient. The transfusion outcome tells us what the effect has been of managing the risks along the entire transfusion chain, vein to vein. It is evident that this chain consists of a manifold of elements with a variety of strengths and weaknesses. Controlling the integrity, functionality and efficacy of the chain is the essence of haemovigilance. Haemovigilance is the composite of surveillance procedures from donor to recipient to collect, assess and evaluate information on expected and unexpected or unwanted effects of the clinical use of blood components. In this composite of procedures documentation and trace-ability play a major role, based on professional awareness. Quality thinking and acting are fundamental and should be anchored in a quality system.
KeywordsHepatitis Manifold Leukemia Assure Smit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Report of the GBSI informal consultation on collaboration in training in transfusion medicine. WHO/LBS/92.7, Geneva 1992Google Scholar
- 2.European Colloquium on a Quality System for Blood Banks. Conclusions and Recommendations. Noordwijk, the Netherlands, December 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.The establishment of a Haemovigilance Network in the European Community. A feasibility project. Delaney FM, ed. Haeman Consortium for the European Commission. IBS & Partners, Luxemburg, 1998Google Scholar
- 4.Quality Management for Blood Collection, Processing and Distribution in the European Community: a way forward. Conclusions and Recommendations. Baden/Vienna, Austria, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.Directive technique nr 1 du 14 juin 1994 de FAgence francaise du sang, relative au continu et aux modalites de transmission de la fiche d’incident transfusionnel, prise en application du decret n 94–68 du 24 Janvier 1994 relatif aux regies d’hemovigilance. Paris, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Salmi LR, Azanowsky J-M, Perez P et al. Haemovigilance in France: where we stand in 1995. Rossi U, Massaro AL, Sciorelli G eds. Proceedings of the ISBT 5th Regional Congress, Venezia 1995. Edizioni SMTI 1997:964–71.Google Scholar
- 7.Serious Hazards of Transfusion. Annual Report 1996–1997. Manchester, UK.Google Scholar