The motivation for 1-Volt operation of pager RF circuits is discussed. General principles covering low-voltage RF design are covered, followed by specific circuit examples of RF amplifiers, mixers, and VCOs. Finally, possible future directions of low-voltage RF design are examined.
KeywordsCurrent Drain Automatic Gain Control Load Impedance Adaptive Signal Processing Gilbert Cell Mixer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Vittoz, “Low-Power Low-Voltage Limitations and Prospects in Analog Design,” in Analog Circuit Design, edit. R. van de Plassche, W. Sansen, and J. Huijsing, Kluwer, 1995.Google Scholar
- P. Gray and R. Meyer, Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits, third ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1993, p. 287.Google Scholar
- E. Vittoz, “Physical Limitations on CMOS Analog ICs,” Mead Microelectronics: Advanced Analog CMOS IC Design Techniques Course, San Francisco, CA, April 1996.Google Scholar
- P. Gray and R. Meyer, op. cit., pp. 511-512.Google Scholar
- H. Krauss, C. Bostian, and F. Raab, Solid State Radio Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1980, ch. 3.Google Scholar
- NEC, “μPC7349GB Direct Conversion FSK Data Receiver Preliminary Data Sheet,” July, 1995.Google Scholar
- C. Takahashi, et al., “A 1.9 GHz Si Direct Conversion Receiver IC for QPSK Modulation Systems,” 1995 IEEE International Solid State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 138-139.Google Scholar
- F. Assaderaghi, et al., “A Dynamic Threshold Voltage MOSFET (DTMOS) for Ultra-Low Voltage Operation,” 1994 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, pp. 809-812.Google Scholar
- J. Y.-C. Chang and A. A. Abidi, “A 750 MHz RF amplifier in 2-(im CMOS,” 1992 Symp. VLSI Circuits Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 111-112.Google Scholar
- J. Ou, “CMOS Low-Noise Amplifier Design for Monolithic RF Modems,” http://www.kabuki.eecs.berkeley.edu/~jjou/slides/rf.11.95/
- M. Harada and T. Tsukahara, “Monolithic 2 GHz and 4-6 GHz Low Noise Amplifiers Fabricated on a SIMOX Wafer,” 1997 International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials Extended Abstracts, pp. 132-133.Google Scholar