Low noise amplifiers are ultimately limited in performance and power dissipation by parasitics introduced by the IC process. The important parasitics can be determined by investigating the tradeoffs between power, performance and the performance limits of simple building blocks. Most of these parasitics are related to the silicon substrate. Silicon-On-Anything is an IC technology in which the substrate is completely substituted by another material. The technology also includes an NPN device optimized specifically for low power RF. By adapting the LNA design methods, a reduction in power dissipation by one order of magnitude has already been demonstrated. Directions for further improvements are indicated.
KeywordsPower Dissipation Input Impedance Parasitic Capacitance Output Impedance Common Emitter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Pozar, “Microwave Engineering”, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, MA, U.S.A., 1990, pg. 99Google Scholar
- B. Nauta, “Analog Video Line Driver with Adaptive Impedance Matching”, proc. ISSCC’ 98, San Francisco, U.S.A., February 5–7, 1998, pg. 318-319Google Scholar
- P. Baltus, “Influence of Process and Device Parameters on the Performace of Portable RF Communication Circuits”, Proc. ESSDERC’ 94, Edinburgh, Scotland, September 11–15, 1994, pg. 3-11Google Scholar
- G. Hurkx, “The Relevance of fT and fmax for the Speed of a Bipolar CE Amplifier Stage”, proc. Of the BCTM, Mineapolis, U.S.A., September 1996Google Scholar
- J. Burghartz, “RF Circuit Design Aspects of Spiral Inductors on Silicon”, proc. ISSCC’ 98, San Francisco, U.S.A., February 5–7, 1998, pg. 246-247Google Scholar
- R. Dekker et al., “An Ultra Low-Power RF bipolar technology on glass”, Techn. Digest IEDM, 1997Google Scholar
- R. Dekker et al., “An Ultra Low Power Lateral Bipolar Polysilicon Emitter Technology on SOI”, Techn. Digest IEDM, 1993Google Scholar
- T. Wagemans et al., “A 3.5mW 2.5GHz Diversity Receiver and a 1.2mW 3.6GHz VCO in Silicon-on-Anything”, digest. ISSCC’ 98, San Francisco, U.S.A., February 5”7, 1998, pg. 250-251Google Scholar
- P. Baltus et al., “DECT Zero IF Receiver Front End”, proc. AACD’ 93, Leuven, Belgium, April 6–8 1993Google Scholar