A deeper understanding of the diverse properties of iron and various steels is gained by inspecting the iron-carbon phase diagram. Actually, for the present purposes only the portion up to 6.67% C is of interest; see Figure 8.1.
KeywordsCast Iron Ductile Cast Iron Gray Cast Gray Cast Iron Plain Carbon Steel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Suggestions for Further Study
- R.W.K. Honeycombe, Steels: Microstructure and Properties, 2nd Edition, Arnold, London (1996).Google Scholar
- Metals Handbook, Vol 1, Properties and Selection: Irons and Steels and High-Performance Alloys, ASM International, Materials Park, OH (1990).Google Scholar
- The Making, Shaping, and Treating of Steel, 10th Edition, AISE, Pittsburgh, PA (1985).Google Scholar
- C.F. Walton and T.F. Opav, Editors, Iron Castings Handbook, Iron Castings Society, Des Plaines, IL (1981).Google Scholar
- Worldwide Guide to Equivalent Irons and Steels, 2nd Edition, ASM International, Materials Park, OH (1987).Google Scholar