Flood Protection, Safety Standards and Societal Risk
The Netherlands is situated on the delta of three of Europe’s biggest rivers: the Rhine, the Meuse and the Scheldt. Large parts of the country lie lower than the water levels that may occur on the North Sea, the large rivers and the IJsselmeer. Consequently, most of the country is protected by flood defenses. Along the coast, protection from flooding is provided primarily by the dunes. Where dunes are absent or too narrow, or where sea arms have been closed off, flood defenses in the form of sea dikes or storm surge barriers have been constructed. Along the entire Rhine and along parts of the Maas, river dikes offer protection from flooding by the rivers. Construction, management and maintenance of flood defenses are essential conditions for the population and further development of the country.
KeywordsFlooding Risk Safety Standard Flood Disaster Flood Protection Safety Concept
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon. (1992) Analysis of vulnerability to the impacts of sea level rise,The Hague: Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management (Report DGW-93.034)Google Scholar
- Delta Commission (1960) Report of the Deltacommittee,The Hague (in Dutch).Google Scholar
- HSE (1989) Risk criteria for land use planning in the vicinity of major industrial hazards, London: Her Majesty’s Stationary Office.Google Scholar
- TAW (1988) Probabilistic design of flood defenses, Gouda: Technical Advisory Committee on Water Retaining structures and CUR Centre for Civil Engineering Research and Codes.Google Scholar
- TAW (1989) Guideline to the assessment of the safety of dunes as a sea defense, Gouda: Technical Advisory Committee on Water Retaining structures and CUR Centre for Civil Engineering Research and Codes.Google Scholar
- TAW (1994) Some considerations on acceptable risk in the Netherlands, Delft: RWS - Bureau for road and hydraulic engineering (Technical advisory committee on water retaining structures )Google Scholar
- Vrouwenvelder, A.C.W.M. and P. Struik (1990) Safety philosophy for dike design in The Netherlands,Delft (Paper presented at the 22nd International Conference on Coastal Engineering).Google Scholar