The Prediction of Fracture Risk with Densitometry
In Chapter 3 it was noted that there are several ways to assess the risk of any outcome. The more commonly used measures of risk are prevalence, incidence, absolute and relative risk, and odds ratios. All of these measures can be employed in the specific context of the assessment of fracture risk. In densitometry, new measures of risk are being employed as well, such as the fracture threshold, lifetime risk, and remaining-lifetime fracture probability. A physician may choose to use whichever measure of risk best conveys the clinical importance of the patient’s BMD.
KeywordsFemoral Neck Bone Mass Vertebral Fracture Fracture Risk Proximal Femur
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mazess RB (1990) Bone densitometry for clinical diagnosis and monitoring. In: DeLuca HF, Mazess R, eds. Osteoporosis: Physiologic Basis, Assessment and Treatment, New York: Elsevier, pp. 63–85.Google Scholar
- 6.Wasnich RD, Ross PD, Heilbrun LK, Vogel JM (1985) Prediction of postmenopausal fracture risk with use of bone mineral measurements. Am JObstet Gynecol 153: 745–751.Google Scholar
- 7.Huang C, Ross PD, Yates AJ, Wasnich RD (1997) Prediction of vertebral fractures by radiographic absorptiometry. Abstract. J Bone Miner Res 12: S496.Google Scholar
- 8.Huang C, Ross PD, Davis JW, Imose K, Emi K, Wasnich RD (1997) Prediction of single and multiple vertebral fractures by metacarpal BMD using poisson regression. Abstract. J Bone Miner Res 12: S496.Google Scholar
- 13.Ross PD, Wasnich RD, MacLean CJ, Vogel JM (1987) Prediction of individual lifetime fracture expectancy using bone mineral measurements. In: Christiansen C, Johansen JS, Riss BJ, eds. Osteoporosis 1987, Copenhagen, Denmark: Osteopress ApS, pp. 288–293.Google Scholar
- 14.Wasnich RD, Ross PD, Vogel JM, Davis JW (1989) Osteoporosis: Critique and Practicum. Honolulu: Banyan.Google Scholar
- 18.Vega E, Mautalen C, Gomez H, Garrido A, Melo L, Sahores AO (1991) Bone mineral density in patients with cervical and trochanteric fractures of the proximal femur. Osteoporosis Int 1:81–86.Google Scholar
- 20.Burger H, van Daele PLA, Algra D, Hofman A, Groobbee DE, Schutte HE, Birkenhager JC, Pols HAP (1994) Vertebral deformities as predictors of non-vertebral fractures. Br Med J 309:991, 992.Google Scholar