Quality-Control Procedures for Densitometry
The original indications for bone-mass measurements from the National Osteoporosis Foundation, published in 1988, and the guidelines for the clinical applications for bone densitometry from the International Society for Clinical Densitometry, published in 1996, called for strict quality control procedures at clinical sites performing densitometry (1,2). Such procedures are crucial to the generation of accurate and precise bone-density data. In spite of inherently superb accuracy and precision in today’ s X-ray densitometers, alterations in the functioning of the machines will occur. Quality control procedures to detect these alterations in machine function should be utilized by every clinical site performing densitometry, regardless of the frequency with which measurements are performed.
KeywordsControl Chart Control Limit Bone Densitometry Quality Control Procedure Standard Deviation Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnston CC, Melton LJ, Lindsay R, Eddy DM (1989) Clinical indications for bone mass measurements: a report from the scientific advisory board of the National Osteoporosis Foundation. J Bone Miner Res 4: S1 — S28.Google Scholar
- 4.Montgomery DC (1992)Introduction to Statistical Quality Control. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 6.Lu Y, Mathur AK, Blunt BA, Gluer CC, Will AS, Fuerst TP, et al. (1998) Dual X-ray absorptiometry quality control: comparison of visual examination and process-control charts. J Bone Miner Res 11:626–637.Google Scholar
- 8.British Standards Institution (1980) BS5703: Guide to data analysis and quality control using Cusum techniques. London.Google Scholar
- 9.Pearson D, Cawte SA (1997) Long-term quality control of DXA: a comparison of Shewhart rules and CUSUM charts. Osteoporosis Int 7:338–343.Google Scholar
- 10.Norland Medical Systems (1993) XR-Series X-Ray Bone Densitometer Operator’s Guide. Ft. Atkinson, WI.Google Scholar
- 11.Norland Medical Systems (1996) Model pDEXA Forearm X-ray Bone Densitometer Operator’s Guide. Ft. Atkinson, WI.Google Scholar
- 12.Hologic QDR 4500X-Ray Bone Densitometer User’s Guide,Revision C. Waltham, MA.Google Scholar