A Controlled Study of Intra-Articular Hyalgan® in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis of the Knee
A US multicenter clinical trial was undertaken to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of Hyalgan®, a defined molecular weight fraction of highly purified hyaluronic acid (500–730 kDa), prepared as a buffered solution in physiologic saline. Hyalgan is injected intra-articularly for the sustained relief of pain and joint dysfunction in osteoarthritis of the knee. This product is classified as a device according to the current ruling of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, this categorization may be questionable. Other regulatory authorities consider hyaluronic acid products as drugs because the mechanism of action appears to go beyond the mere physical function of replacing abnormal synovial fluid (“viscosupplementation”).
KeywordsHyaluronic Acid Synovial Fluid Test Group Test Product Success Criterion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bellamy, N. and Buchanan, W. W. 1993. Clinical evaluation in rheumatic diseases. In Arthritis and Allied Conditions: A Textbook of Rheumatology (McCarty D.J. and Koopman W.J. eds.). Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, pp. 157–172.Google Scholar
- 5.Williams, H. J., Ward, J. R., Egger, M. J., Neuner, R., Brooks, R. H., Clegg, D. O., Field, E. H., Skosey, J. L., Alarcón, G. S., Willkens, R. F., Paulus, H. E., Russell, I. J., and Sharp, J. T. 1993. Comparison of naproxen and acetaminophen—a two-year study of treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis Rheum. 36:1196–1206.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Bradley, J. D., Brandt, K. D., Katz, B. P., Kalasinski, L. A., and Ryan, S. I. 1991. Comparison of an anti-inflammatory dose of ibuprofen, an analgesic dose of ibuprofen, and acetaminophen in the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. N. Engl. J. Med. 325: 87–91.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Formiguera Sala, S. and Esteve de Miguel, R. 1995. Intra-articular hyaluronic acid in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a short term study. Eur. J. Rheumatol. Inflamm. 15:33–38.Google Scholar
- 8.Huskisson, E. C. 1995. Randomized, placebo-controlled study to compare the effectiveness of, and the patient satisfaction with intra-articular HYALGAN® in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Final report dated 12 June.Google Scholar