So far I probably haven’t given a good account of myself. With all the major programming gaffes that I’ve confessed to (and a lot more that are best left unsaid), you’re probably wondering whether I’m even qualified to write a program as sophisticated as Chinook. My programming errors have cost Chinook dearly and, unfortunately, will continue to dog the project. Maybe I’m the wrong person to do the programming; someone with better skills might be able to do a better job.
KeywordsSpace Shuttle Programming Error Checker Program Wrong Person Strategic Defense Initiative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.John Shore, The Sachertorte Algorithm and Other Antidotes to Computer Anxiety, Penguin Books, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.Nancy Leveson, Safeware. System Safety and Computers, Addison-Wesley, 1995, pp. 28–29. This is an excellent book for anyone wanting more information on the risks of computing technology.Google Scholar
- 3.“Army is Blaming Patriot’s Computer For Failure to Stop Dhahran Scud,” New York Times, May 20, 1991, p. A6.Google Scholar
- 4.For more details on this horrifying story, see Nancy Leveson and Clark Turner’s excellent article: “An Investigation of the Therac-25 Accidents,” IEEE Computer, 26, no. 7(1993): pp. 18–41.Google Scholar
- 5.For more information on the risks associated with computer software, read the electronic news group comp.risks or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.Google Scholar