Margarines and Spreads
The invention of margarine in the 1860s is attributed to the French chemist Hippolyte Mège Mouriés, in response to a competitive challenge initiated by the French Government under Napoleon III for a less expensive and less perishable substitute for butter.
KeywordsPotassium Sorbate Sorbitan Monostearate Flavor Release Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate Polyglycerol Ester
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen, A.J.C., Williams, P.N. (1954). Margarine,2d ed., Pergamon, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Borwanker, R.P., Buliga, G.S (1989). Emulsion properties of margarines and low fat spreads, in Proc. Food Emulsions and Foams—Theory and Practice (eds. P.G. Wan et al.), San Francisco, pp. 44–52.Google Scholar
- Flack, E. (1992). The role of emulsifiers in reduced fat and fat free foods, in Food Technology International Europe (ed. A. Turner), Sterling Publications, London, pp. 179–181.Google Scholar
- Friberg, S.E. et al. (1990). Emulsion stability, in Food Emulsions (eds. K. Larrson and S.E. Friberg ), Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 1–40.Google Scholar
- Krog, N., et al. (1988). Applications in the food industry, in Encyclopaedia of Emulsion Technology, Vol. 2: Applications of Emulsions (ed. P. Becher ), Marcel Dekker, New York, p. 321.Google Scholar
- Madsen, J. Puff Pastry Margarine: A Comparison of the Chilling Drum and Tube Chiller Methods of Production,TP101, Grindsted, Denmark.Google Scholar
- Madsen, J. (1981). Post-Crystallisation in Puff Pastry Margarine, at 11th Scandinavian Symposium on Lipids, Bergen, Norway.Google Scholar
- Madsen, J. (1983). Product Formulation and Processing of Margarine and Yellow Fat Spreads, at Margarine and Yellow Fat Seminar, Coventry, England.Google Scholar
- Madsen, J. (1989). Low Calorie Spread and Melange Production in Europe, at World Conference on Edible Oils and Fats Processing, Maastricht, Holland.Google Scholar
- Madsen, J., Als, G. (1968). Sandiness in Table Margarine and the Influence of Various Blends of Triglycerides and Emulsifiers Thereon, at IXth Int. Soc. of Fat Research Congress, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Moran, D.P.J. (1993). Reduced calorie spreads, in Porim Technology, No. 15., Feb 93, Palm Oil Research Institute of Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Schwitzer, M.K. (1956). Margarine and Other Food Fats, Leonard Hill, London.Google Scholar