Several Algorithms to Determine Multipliers for Use in Cone-Ratio Envelopment Approaches to Efficiency Evaluations in DEA
In this paper, we will discuss subjects related to virtual multipliers in the cone-ratio model in DEA. Usually, there exists ambiguity in the virtual multipliers in the polyhedral cone-ratio method when some exemplary efficient DMUs’ multipliers are employed as the admissible directions of the cone. We will propose three practical methods for resolving this ambiguity, along with an example. Then, we will discuss possible applications of vertex enumeration software, based on the Double Description Method.
KeywordsData Envelopment Analysis Data Envelopment Analysis Model Convex Polyhedron Fractional Program Polyhedral Cone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fukuda, K., 1993, ‘cdd.c: C-implementation of the double description method for computing all vertices and extremal rays of a convex polyhedron given by a system of linear inequalities’, Department of Mathematics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Kojima, M., S. Mizuno, and A. Yoshise, 1989, ‘A primal-dual interior point method for linear programming’, in Progress in Mathematical Programming: Interior-Point and Related Methods, N. Megiddo (Ed.), New York: Springer-Verlag, pp. 29–48.Google Scholar
- Motzkin, T.S., H. Raiffa, G.L. Thompson, and M.R. Thrall, 1958, ‘The double description method’, in Contribution to the Theory of Games, Vol. 2, H.W. Kuhn and A.W. Tucker (Eds), Annals of Mathematics Studies, No. 28, Princeton: Princeton University Press, pp. 81–103.Google Scholar
- Sun, D.B., 1987, ‘Evaluation of managerial performance of large commercial banks by data envelopment analysis’, Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation (Graduate School of Business, University of Texas, Austin, Texas).Google Scholar
- Thompson, R.G., E.A. Waltz, D.S. Dharmapala, and R.M. Thrall, 1995, ‘DEA/AR measures and Malmquist indexes applied to ten OECD nations’, Working Paper No. 115, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Administration, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77251.Google Scholar
- Thompson, R.G. and R.M. Thrall, 1995, ‘Assurance region and cone ratio’, Paper presented at the First International Conference of the Society on Computational Economics, May 21–24, 1995, Austin, Texas.Google Scholar
- Tone, K., 1993, ‘An s-free DEA and a new measure of efficiency’, Journal of the Operations Research Society of Japan 36, 167–174.Google Scholar
- Yamashita, H., 1992, revised 1994, ‘A globally convergent primal-dual interior point method for constrained optimization’, Technical Report, Mathematical Systems Institute Inc., Tokyo, Japan.Google Scholar