Modeling and Simulation of Jitter in Phase-Locked Loops
A methodology is presented for predicting the jitter performance of a PLL using simulation that is both accurate and efficient. The methodology begins by characterizing the noise behavior of the blocks that make up the PLL using transistor-level simulation. For each block, the jitter is extracted and provided as a parameter to behavioral models for inclusion in a high-level simulation of the entire PLL. This approach is efficient enough to be applied to complex systems, such as frequency synthesizers with large divide ratios or fractional-N synthesizers.
KeywordsPhase Noise Charge Pump Flicker Noise Loop Filter Frequency Synthesizer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [demir94]A. Demir, E. Liu, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, and I. Vassiliou. Behavioral simulation techniques for phase/delay-locked systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, pp. 453–456, May 1994.Google Scholar
- [demir96b]A. Demir, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli. Simulation and modeling or phase noise in open-loop oscillators. Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, pp. 445–456, May 1996.Google Scholar
- [gardner79]Floyd M. Gardner. Phaselock Techniques. John Wiley & Sons, 1979.Google Scholar
- [gray93]P. R. Gray and R. G. Meyer. Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits. J. Wiley & Sons, Third Edition, 1993.Google Scholar
- [ovi96]Verilog-A Language Reference Manual: Analog Extensions to Verilog-HDL, version 1.0. Open Verilog International, 1996. Available from www.ovi.org.
- [telichevesky96a]R. Telichevesky, K. Kundert, J. White. Receiver characterization using periodic small-signal analysis. Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, May 1996.Google Scholar
- [telichevesky96b]R. Telichevesky, K. Kundert, J. White. Efficient AC and noise analysis of two-tone RF circuits. Proceedings of the 33rd Design Automation Conference, June 1996.Google Scholar
- [vendelin90]George D. Vendelin, Anthony M. Pavio, Ulrich L. Rohde. Microwave Circuit Design. J. Wiley & Sons, 1990.Google Scholar