This chapter includes multiresolution decomposition for image analysis and data compression. Multiresolution processing has been implemented with many different architectures (tree structures) and filters (operators) for signal decomposition (analysis) and reconstruction (synthesis).1–13 Therefore, Section 5.1 begins with a single-level decomposition that most architectures share, and Section 5.2 extends the formulations to a particular multi-level realization, the wavelet transform. Finally, Section 5.3 characterizes the performance of this decomposition in the visual communication channel. This characterization focuses on the effects of the quantization of the wavelet transform coefficients (or requantization) on the information rate, data rate and image quality.
KeywordsSpatial Frequency Discrete Wavelet Transform Image Restoration Information Rate Visual Communication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Gabor, “Theory of communication,” Proc. IEEE 93, 429–457 (1946).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Mallat, “Multifrequency channel decompositions of images and wavelet models,” IEEE Trans. Acoustic., Speech, and Signal Proc. ASSP-37, 2901–2110 (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Meyer, Wavelet: Algorithms and Applications ( SIAM, Philadelphia, 1993 ).Google Scholar
- 14.S. Mallat and S. Zhong, “Wavelet maxima representation,” in Y. Meyer, editor, Wavelets and Applications ( Masson, Paris, 1991 ).Google Scholar
- 15.R. R. Coffman, Y. Meyer and M. V. Wickerhauser, “Wavelet analysis and signal processing,” in M. B. Ruskai et al., editor, Wavelets and their Applications ( Jones and Bartlett, Boston, 1992 ).Google Scholar
- 16.R. R. Coffman and M. V. Wickerhauser, “Entropy-based algorithms for best basis selection,” IEEE Trans. Inform. Th., Special Issue on Wavelet Transforms and Multiresolution Signal Analysis 38, 713–718 (1992).Google Scholar
- 19.D. Marr and E. Hildreth, “Theory of edge detection,” Proc. Roy. Soc. London B 207, 187–217 (1980).Google Scholar
- 20.D. Marr, Vision (Freeman, San Francisco, California, 1982 ).Google Scholar