Obstructive airway disease includes asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Although two distinct entities, these problems share many of the same characteristics. Chronic cough, a prominent symptom of both these ailments, is also presented.
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patient Forced Vital Capacity Chronic Bronchitis Chronic Cough
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. National asthma education program, expert panel report. Bethesda: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute; 1991 August, Publ. No. 91–3042.Google Scholar
- 3.Ingram RH. Chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and airways obstruction. In: Harrison’s principles of internal medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987:1087–94.Google Scholar
- 4.Snider GL, Kleinerman J, Thurlbeck WM, Bengali ZH. The definition of emphysema: report of a National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Division of Lung Diseases workshop. Am Rev Respir Dis 1985;132:182–5.Google Scholar
- 8.Seiner JC. Helping asthmatic patients control their environment. J Respir Dis 1986;7:83–104.Google Scholar
- 9.Physician’s desk reference, 42nd ed. Oradell, NJ: Medical Economics, 1992.Google Scholar
- 12.Seigel D, Sheppard D, Gelb A, Weinberg PF. Aminophylline increases the toxicity but not the efficacy of an inhaled beta-adrenergic agonist in the treatment of acute exacerbations of asthma. Am Rev Respir Dis 1985; 132: 283–6.Google Scholar
- 13.Fanta CH, Israel E, Sheffer AL. Managing—and preventing—severe asthma attacks. J Respir Dis 1992;13:94–108.Google Scholar
- 15.Med Lett 1994;36(921):37–38.Google Scholar
- 17.Gross NJ, Skorodin MS. Anticholinergics: will they be your best option in COPD? J Respir Dis 1986;7(2):38–43.Google Scholar
- 20.Olivier KN, Yankaskas JR. What role for calcium channel blockers in asthma? J Respir Dis 1991;12:703–7.Google Scholar
- 23.Teach your patients about asthma: a clinician’s guide. Publication 92–2737. Washington, DC: National Institutes of Health, 1992.Google Scholar
- 25.Dirks JF. Patient attitude as a factor in asthma management. Pract Cardiol 1986;12(1):84–98.Google Scholar
- 26.Dowell AR. Quality of life: how important in managing COPD? J Respir Dis 1991;12:1057–72.Google Scholar