Biofunctional Membrane Substrates Based on Blends of Polyetherimide with Poly (Vinyl Pyrrolidone-Co-Vinyl Acetate)
Amorphous engineering thermoplastics such as polysulfone, polyethersulfone, and polyetherimide have been used for the fabrication of a wide range of membrane materials via phase inversion methods. The high glass transition temperatures inherent to these materials lead to glassy membranes which display excellent mechanical integrity for a variety of applications. The application of engineering thermoplastics as microporous substrates for biofunctional membranes is typically precluded, however, owing to a lack of suitable functional attachment sites on the membrane surface. Further, the hydrophobic nature of these materials leads to difficulties with protein adsorption (i.e. fouling) and wettability.
KeywordsCellulose Hydrolysis Iodine Titration Lysine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.H.D.W. Roesink, M.J. Otto, J.A. Ronner, M.H.V. Mulder, and C.A. Smolders, “Demixing phenomena and membrane formation in the four component system polyetherimide / polyvinylpyrrolidone / N-methylpyrrolidone / water”, Ph.D. Thesis Chapter 2, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.H.D.W. Roesink, Z. Borneman, M.H.V. Mulder, and C.A. Smolders, “Polyetherimidepolyvinylpyrrolidone blends as membrane material”, Ph.D. Thesis Chapter 4, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.H.D.W. Roesink, S. Oude Vrielink, M.H.V. Mulder, and C.A. Smolders, “Posttreatment of hydrophilic membranes prepared from polyetherimide-polyvinylpyrrolidone blends”, Ph.D. Thesis Chapter 5, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.H.D.W. Roesink, M.A.M. Beerlage, W. Potman, T. van den Boomgaard, M.H.V. Mulder, and C.A. Smolders, “Characterization of new membrane materials by means of fouling experiments: Adsorption of BSA on polyetherimide-polyvinylpyrrolidone membranes”, Colloids and Surfaces, 55, 231 (1991).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.P.W. Feldhoff, “Comparison of coupling procedures for development of affinity membranes: Optimization of the CDI method”, in Techniques in Protein Chemistry III, Academic Press, 1992.Google Scholar