Spatial Resolution and Minimum Detectability
Often, when you do X-ray microanalysis of thin foils, you are seeking information that is close to the limits of spatial resolution. Before you carry out any such microanalysis you need to understand the various controlling factors, which we explain in this chapter. Minimizing your specimen thickness is perhaps the most critical aspect of obtaining the best spatial resolution, so we summarize the various ways you can measure your foil thickness at the analysis point.
KeywordsThin Foil Specimen Thickness Foil Thickness Good Spatial Resolution Thin Specimen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldstein, J. I., Williams, D.B., and Cliff, G. (1986) in Principles of Analytical Electron Microscopy (Eds. D.C. Joy, A.D. Romig Jr., and J.I. Goldstein), p. 155, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Goldstein J.I., Costley, J.L., Lorimer, G.W., and Reed, S.J.B. (1977) Scanning Electron Microscopy, 1 (Ed. O. Johari), p. 315, HMI, Chicago, Illinois.Google Scholar
- Heinrich, K.F.J., Newbury, D.E., and Yakowitz, H., Eds. (1975) NBS Special Publication 460, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Joy, D.C. (1995) Monte Carlo Modeling for Electron Microscopy and Microanalysis, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Lorimer, G.W., Cliff, G., and Clark, J.N. (1976) in Developments in Electron Microscopy and Analysis (Ed. J.A. Venables), p. 153, Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Lyman, C.E. (1987) in Physical Aspects of Microscopic Characterization of Materials (Eds. J. Kirschner, K. Murata, and J.A. Venables), p. 123, Scanning Microscopy International, AMF O’Hare, Illinois.Google Scholar
- Lyman, C.E. and Michael, J.R. (1987) in Analytical Electron Microscopy-1987 (Ed. D.C. Joy), p. 231, San Francisco Press, San Francisco, California.Google Scholar
- Porter, D.A. and Westengen, H. (1981) in Quantitative Microanalysis with High Spatial Resolution (Eds. M.H. Jacobs, G.W. Lorimer, and P. Doig), p. 94, The Metals Society, London.Google Scholar
- Zemyan, S.M. (1995) Ph.D. dissertation, Lehigh University.Google Scholar