The reader will remember that in Chapter 4 we discussed the cognitive processes of sensation and perception and their possible alterations with brain damage or dysfunction. In this chapter we examine the cognitive and behavioral aspects of inattention, first looking at the components of attention and the different ways in which these components can be studied. Second, we focus on children with attention deficit disorder and comment on the diagnostic criteria and characteristics of the disorder. Third, we discuss some of the theories about the causes of attention deficit disorder and some of the techniques and procedures for treating the disorder. And fourth, we briefly examine memory processes and how memory is influenced by disturbances in attention.
KeywordsFatigue Corn Influenza Radar Serotonin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barkley, R.A. Hyperactive Children: A handbook for diagnosis and treatment. New York: Guilford Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- Barkley, R.A. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: A clinical workbook. New York: Guilford Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, S. & Goldstein, M. Managing attention deficit disorders in children. A guide for practitioners. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kendall, P.C. Stop and think workbook. PA: Marion Station, 1988. Kendall, P.C. & Braswell, L. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for impulsive children. New York: Guilford Press, 1985.,Google Scholar
- Moghadam, H. Attention deficit disorder: Hyperactivity revisited. Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd., 1988.Google Scholar
- Quinn, P.O. & Stern, J.M. Putting on the brakes. Young peoples guide to understanding attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). New York: Magination Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- Ross, D.M. & Ross, S.Â. Hyperactivity: current issues, research & theory. 2nd edition. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, 1982.Google Scholar
- Swift, M.S. & Spivack, G. Alternative strategies: Helping behaviorally troubled children achieve. Champaign, Illinois: Research Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- Weiss, G. & Hechtman, L. Hyperactive children grown up. New York: Guilford Press, 1986.Google Scholar