The term conceptus (products of conception) includes all the structures that develop from the zygote: the embryo, or fetus, and the placenta with its membranes. The developing human is considered to be an embryo from conception until the end of the eighth week, by which time all major organ systems have been formed. From the beginning of the ninth week until birth, the developing human is called a fetus.
KeywordsSpontaneous Abortion Neural Tube Defect Trimester Abortion Multiple Anomaly Amniotic Band
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brasel JA: Cellular changes in intrauterine malnutrition, in Winick M (ed): Nutrition and Fetal Development, New York, Wiley, 1974, pp 13–25.Google Scholar
- Briggs GG, Freeman RK, Yaffe SJ: A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk. Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation, ed 2. Baltimore, MD, Williams & Wilkins, 1986.Google Scholar
- Glass RH, Golbus MS: Pregnancy wastage: Habitual abortion, in Creasy RK, Resnik R (eds): Maternal-Fetal Medicine. Principles and Practice, Philadelphia, Saunders, 1984, pp 385–394.Google Scholar
- Harlap SS, Shiono PH, Ramcharan S: A life table of spontaneous abortions and the effects of age, parity and other variables, in Porter IH and Hook EB (eds), Human Embryonic and Fetal Death; New York, Academic Press, 1980; pp 145–158.Google Scholar
- Kline J, Stein Z: Very early pregnancy, in Dixon RL (ed): Reproductive Toxicology, New York, Raven Press, 1985, pp 251–265.Google Scholar
- Naeye RL, Tafari N: Risk Factors in Pregnancy and Diseases of the Fetus and Newborn; Baltimore, MD, Williams & Wilkins, p 194, 1983.Google Scholar
- Poland BJ, Miller JR, Harris M, Livingston J: Spontaneous abortion: A study of 1961 women and their conceptuses. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand (suppl 102 ): 5–32, 1981.Google Scholar
- Roman E, Stevenson AC: Spontaneous abortion, in Barron SL, Thomson AM (eds): Obstetrical Epidemiology. London, Academic Press, 1983, pp 61–87.Google Scholar
- Shepard TH: Catalog of Teratogenic Agents, ed 5. Baltimore, MD, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1986.Google Scholar