Innovations and Precautions
Laser-Doppler flowmetry is sometimes referred to as an art. Such an expression indicates that besides the instrument itself, a number of precautions must be considered in order to use the method properly. Therefore, this chapter reviews some important practical precautions regarding the use of laser Doppler flowmetry. It also describes some innovations and modifications that have been made to laser-Doppler flowmeters and flow probes.
KeywordsLaser Cavity Forearm Blood Flow Blood Flow Signal Acrylic Plastic Laser Tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rigden, J.D., and E.I. Gordon. 1962. The granularity of scattered optical maser light. Proc IRE 50:2367–2368.Google Scholar
- 2.Midwinter, J. E. 1979 In Optical Fibers for Transmission. New York: John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- 6.Jentink, H. W., R. G. A. M. Hermsen, F. F. M. de Mul, H. E. Suichies, J.G. Aarnoudse, and J. Greve. 1988. Tissue perfusion measurements using a mini diode laser Doppler perfusion sensor. SPIE Conference, Vol 904, Microsensors and Catheter-Based Imaging Technology. Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- 9.Haumschild, D.J. 1986. Microvascular blood flow measurement by laser Doppler flowmetry. TSI Application Note. TSI Inc., 500 Cardigan Road, PO Box 64394, St Paul, MN 55164, USA.Google Scholar
- 12.Roman, R.J., and C. Smits. 1986. Laser-Doppler determination of papillary blood-flow in young and adult rats. Am J Physiol 252:F115–F124.Google Scholar
- 13.Tamura, T., and P.Å. Öberg. 1988. Studies of scattering volume geometry in laser Doppler flowmetry. Innovation et Techn en Biol et Medecine (ITBM) 9:370–380.Google Scholar
- 14.Öberg, P. Å. 1988. A method for frequency stabilization of multimode He—Ne lasers in laser-Doppler flowmetry. Abstract. World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, San Antonio, Texas, August 6–12.Google Scholar
- 15.Dopheide, G., G. Taux, G. Reim, and M. Faber. 1986. Laser Doppler anemometry using laserdiodes and solid state photodetectors. Third International Symposium on Applications of Laser Anemometry of Fluid Mechanics. Lisbon, Portugal (paper 8.2).Google Scholar