Studies on the Clonality of the Antibody Response to a Protein Epitope
During the past decade, great advances have been made in the synthesis and preparation of various formulations of compounds to be used as vaccines. Indeed, the field of “vaccinology” has experienced a dramatic surge. Yet, while many preparations, such as hepatis B immunogens, constitute effective vaccines, attempts to prepare effective vaccines against other diseases, such as malaria or AIDS, have encountered formidable difficulties.
KeywordsCell Clone Helper Cell Synthetic Analogue Fine Specificity Large Repertoire
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akolar, P. N. Sikder, S. K., Bhattacharya, S. B., Liao, J., Gruezo, F., Morrison, S. L. and Kabat, E. A, 1987, Different V2 and VH germ line genes and used to produce similar confining sites with specificity for α(1––>6) dextran, J. Immunol., 138:4472.Google Scholar
- Benjamini, E, 1987, Expression of B- and T-cell responses to a defined epitope of a protein antigen in: Immunogenicity of Protein Antigens: Repertoire and Regulation, Vol. I, E. E. Sercarz and J. A. Berzofsky, Eds. CRC Press Inc. Boca Raton, Florida.Google Scholar
- Bothwell, A. L. M., 1984, The genes encloding anti-NP antibodies in inbred strains of mice, in: The Biology of Idiotypes, Greene, M. I., and Nisonoff, A., Eds., Plenum Press, N. Y.Google Scholar
- Fazakas de St. Groth, S, 1967, Cross recognition and cross reactivity. Cold Spring Harbor Symposium Quant. Biol., 32:525.Google Scholar
- Jerne, N. K. , 1974, Towards a network theory of the immune system, Ann. Immunol. (Paris), 125C:373.Google Scholar
- Katz, M. E., Miller, A., Krzych, V., Wicker, L., Maizels, R., Clark, J., Shastri, N., Oki, A. and Sercarz, E., 1983, Hierarchial relationships among epitopes; only certain potentially utilizable epitopes on protein antigens are actually presented in a particular haplotype, in: In Gene: Past, Present, and Future. Pierce, C. W., Cohen, S. E., Kapp, J. A., Schwartz, B. D. and Schreffler, D. C., eds. Humana Press, Clifton N. J.Google Scholar
- Nahmias, C., Strassberg, A. D. and Emorine, L. J., 1988, The immune response towards β adrenergic ligands and their receptors, VIII, extensive diversity of VH and VL genes encoding anti-alprenolol antibodies, J. Immunol., 148:1304.Google Scholar