The Effects of a Fish Oil Preparation (EPAGIS) on Serum Lipids, Apoproteins, Circulating Platelet Aggregates and Hemorheologic Parameters in Hyperlipidemic Subjects
Fish oil as a means of preventing cardiovascular disease has recently attracted much attention (1). Many studies on the effects of fish oil ingestion on various cardiovascular risk factors were published, but only a few were well controlled and double-blind (2). The aims of our study were to examine the effects of a moderate intake of fish oil on several cardiovascular risk factors including serum lipids, apoproteins, some platelet functions and hemorheologic parameters in hyperlipidemic subjects, in a randomized, controlled, double-blind, cross-over fashion.
KeywordsPlasma Viscosity Erythrocyte Deformability Erythrocyte Fatty Acid Hyperlipidemic Subject Hemorheologic Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Leaf A. and P.C.Weber,(1988) Cardiovascular effects of n-3 fatty acids. N.Eng.J.Med. 318, 549Google Scholar
- 3.Slutzky et al. (1987) Quantitative determination of apolipoproteins A-1 and B with a rapid immunoturbidimetric assay. Clin.Chem. 33, 897Google Scholar
- 7.Connor W.E., Hypolipidemic effects of dietary omega-3 fatty acids in normal and hyperlipidemic humans: effectiveness and mechanisms. In: Health effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in seafoods, A.P.Simopoulos, R.R.Kifer and R.E.Martin eds.,Academic Press,Inc., 1986Google Scholar
- 8.Central Bureau of Statistics, Jerusalem: Food Balance Sheets, 1985/86Google Scholar
- 11.Simons L.A., J.B.Hickie, S.Balasubramaniam (1985) On the effects of dietary n-3 fatty acids ( MaxEPA) on plasma lipids and lipoproteins in patients with hyperlipidemia. Atherosclerosis 54, 75Google Scholar
- 13.Schectman G., S.Kaul, A.H.Kissebah (1987) Effect of fish oil concentrate on HDL-cholesterol and apo A-1 levels in hypertriglyceridemic subjects. Arteriosclerosis 7, 508a (abstract)Google Scholar
- 15.Harris W.S., C.A.Dujovne, M.L.Zucker et al. (1987) Fish oil supplements raise low density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in hypertriglyceridemic patients. Arteriosclerosis 7, 509a (abstract)Google Scholar
- 17.Tamura Y., A.Hirai, T.Terano et al. (1986) Clinical and epidemiological studies of eicosapentaenoic acid ( EPA) in Japan. Prog.Lipid Res. 25, 461.Google Scholar