Age-Related Changes in Renal Brush Borders and Brush Border Enzymes
The ageing process leads to a deterioration of function in most body organs. Much attention has been paid to studying the effect of ageing on the kidney. These changes are both structural and functional. Thus far, the structural changes of kidney during ageing has been extensively studied (1,2), the number of glomeruli decreasing with age. The progressive thickening of the tubular and glomerular basement membrane occurs with the ageing process (1,2). Tauchi and his associates (2,3) have morphologically demonstrated that the number of tubular epithelial cells decrease with age.
KeywordsBrush Border Glomerular Basement Membrane Tubular Epithelial Cell Brush Border Membrane High Protein Diet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Goldman, Aging of the excretory system: kidney and bladder. In: “Handbook of the Biology of Aging”, C.E. Hayflick, eds. Van Nostrand Reinhold Ltd., New York, pp 409–431 (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.H. Tauchi, “Morphology of Aging”, Rikogakusha, Tokyo (1980)Google Scholar
- 6.CM. Kiebzak and B. Sacktor, Effect of age on renal conservation of phosphate in the rat. Am. J. Phvsiol. 251:F399-F407 (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.M. Rothstein, Age-related changes in enzyme levels and enzyme properties. In: “Review of Biological Research in Aging”, M. Rothstein, ed. vol. 2, A.B. Liss, Inc., New York, pp 421–433 (1985).Google Scholar
- 12.M. Nakano and H. Tauchi, Age-related alteration of renal brush border leucine aminopeptidase in rat kidney cortex. Mech. Ageing Dev., submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 15.CM. McCay, L.A. Maynard, G. Sperling and L.L. Barnes, Retarded growth, life span, ultimate body size and age changes in the albino rat after feeding diets restricted in calories. J. Nutr. 18:1–18 (1939)Google Scholar
- 16.M. Nakano, H. Taauchi, K. Kohtani, T. Mizuno, Y. Ito, and H. Tauchi, Age-related change of renal tubular brush border enzymes in different nutritional conditions. Biomed. Gerontol. 11:131–132 (1987).Google Scholar