The Effects of Cadmium and Adriamycin on the Isolated Perfused Glomerulus of Myxine Glutinosa (Cyclostomata)
The severity and mechanisms of action of environmental and drug nephrotoxicity needs to be evaluated. While impaired renal function has often been based on chronic exposure studies, little attention has been paid to acute effects, especially renal dysfunction that occurs shortly after exposure to heavy metals or drugs. It may be difficult to define such changes in the whole animal, but in vitro techniques offer a simpler solution to assessing such changes.
KeywordsPermeability Toxicity Catheter Filtration Albumin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fels, L.M., Elger, B., Stolte, H. (1987). Function of single isolated glomeruli of Mvxine glutinosa and effects of catecholamines: In vitro microperfusion studies. Pflugers Archiv, submitted.Google Scholar
- 3.O’Donnel, M.P., Michels, L., Kasiske, B., Raij, L., and Keane, W.F. (1985). Adriamycin-induced chronic proteinuria: A structural and functional study. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 106: 62–67.Google Scholar
- 6.Heath-Eves, M.J., McMillan, D.B. (1974). The morphology of the kidney of the Atlantic hagfish, Myxine glutinosa (L.). Am. J. Physiol. 139: 309–334.Google Scholar
- 7.Kuhn, K., Stolte, H., and Reale, E. (1979). The fine structure of the kidney of the hagfish (Myxine glutinosa L.). A thin section and freeze fracture study. Cell Tissue Res. 164: 201–213.Google Scholar
- 10.Samarawickram, G.B. (1979). In: The chemistry, biochemistry and biology of cadmium. M. Webb, Ed. Elsevier/North Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 341–421.Google Scholar
- 11.Rost, B., Schurek, H.J., Neumann, K.H., Stolte, H. (1983) . Perfusion studies on single glomeruli of the Atlantic hagfish, Myxine qlutinosa (L.). Bull. Mt. Desert Isl. Bio. Lab. 23 : 63–65.Google Scholar
- 12.Stolte, H., Neumann, K.H., Reale, E., Alt, J., and Schurek, H.J. (1981). Renal handling of serum proteins as studied by micropuncture study techniques. Contr. Nephrol. 26:23–30.Google Scholar