The Role of Objectives in Fisheries Management
This paper arises from the notion that fisheries management objectives as required by the Magnuson Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976 are hetter regarded as outcomes of, rather than original stimuli to, fishery plan development. A first section identifies components of fisheries which are amenable to scientific inquiry. A second section examines how Regional Fishery Management Councils make decisions under the condition of limited rationality. A third section suggests how the pluralistic scientific community might organize efforts to inform Councils. A final section remarks how fisheries management is shaped by both the scientific ethic and the ideals associated with representative government.
KeywordsFishery Management Fishery Science Council Member Ethical Commitment Fishery Policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BASS, B.M. 1983. Organizational Decision Making. Homewood: Richard Irwin.Google Scholar
- GULlAND, JA. 1974. The Management of Marine Fisheries. Seattle: University of Washington Press.Google Scholar
- HENNESSEY, T.M. 1981. Toward a positive model of fishery management decision-making. In F.W. Hoole, R.L. Friedheim, and T.M. Hennessey (eds.) Making Marine Policy, Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 239–258.Google Scholar
- KELLY, J.R. 1978. The Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976: organizational framework and conceptual structure. Marine Policy. ( January ), 30–36.Google Scholar
- LARKIN, PA. 1980. Objectives of management. In R.T. Lackey and LA. Nielsen, (eds.), Fisheries Management. New York: John Wiley and Sons. MARCH, J.G. 1982. Theories of choice and making decisions. Transactions Social Science and Modern Society. 20(1), 29–39.Google Scholar
- ROGALSKI, W.R. 1980. The unique federalism of the regional councils under the Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976. Environmental Affairs. 9, 163–203.Google Scholar
- ROYCE, W.F. 1984. Introduction to the Practice of Fishery Science. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- YOUNG,O.R. 1982. Resource Regimes. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- NELSON, R.H. 1987. The economics profession and the making of publie policy. Journal of Economie Literature 25, 49–91.Google Scholar