Applying Bacterial Genetic Principles
Bacterial genetics is witnessing an exciting time in its history. For many years this science had been the sole province of the basic researcher. Enormous contributions had been made by bacterial geneticists to our understanding of genetic and molecular biologic processes, but there seemed to be only a few applied uses for the knowledge that had been gained. During the 1980s this picture completely changed, and interest in bacterial genetics suddenly intensified as a result of the development of DNA splicing techniques and their related technologies.
KeywordsGrowth Hormone Cloning Vector Human Growth Hormone mRNA Molecule Host Bacterium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hall, B.G. (1983). Evolution of new metabolic functions in laboratory organisms, pp. 234–257. In: Nei, M., Koehn, R.K. (eds.) Evolution of Genes and Proteins. Sunderland, Massachusetts: Sinauer Associates.Google Scholar
- Hartl, D.L. (1986). Evolution and tinkering: the molecular genetics of bacterial adaptation, pp. 161–175. In: Gershowitz, H., Rucknagel, D.L., Tashian, R.E. (eds.) Evolutionary Perspectives and the New Genetics. New York: Liss.Google Scholar
- Hutt, P.B. (1985). Existing regulatory authority to control the processes and products of biotechnology, pp. 3–13. In: Fields, B., Martin, M.A., Kamely, D. (eds.) Genetically Altered Viruses and the Environment. Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Jukes, T.H. (1983). Evolution of the amino acid code, pp. 191–207. In: Nei, M., Koehn, R.K. (eds.) Evolution of Genes and Proteins. Sunderland, Massachusetts: Sinauer Associates.Google Scholar
- Pouwels, P.H., Enger-Valk, B.E., Brammer, W.J. (1985). Cloning Vectors. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Silver, S. (ed.) (1985). Biotechnology: Potentials and Limitations. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Saye, D.J., Ogunseitan, O., Sayler, G.S., Miller, R.V. (1987). Potential for transduction of plasmids in a natural freshwater environment: effect of plasmid donor concentration and a natural microbial community on transduction in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 33: 191–198.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tabor, S., Richardson, C.C. (1985). A bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase/promoter system for controlled exclusive expression of specific genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 82:1074— 1078.Google Scholar