Application of the Shifrin Inversion to the Malvern Particle Sizer
The Malvern Particle Sizer was developed by J. Swithenbank et al.1 in 1977, and has been extensively used since then for measuring the size distribution of solid particles and droplets. The reproducibility of results obtained with the instrument is very good2. For many industrial users, deviations of particle size measurements from nominal values is of more importance than absolute results.
KeywordsParticle Size Distribution Scattered Light Intensity Particle Characterisation Particle Size Distribution Function Fraunhofer Diffraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Swithenbank et al., Prog. Astron. Aeron., 53: 421 (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.D.J. Watson, Report M.A.R. 101, Malvern Instruments, 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.P.G. Felton, In-stream measurement of particle size distribution. Presented at the Int. Symp. on in-stream measurements of particle solid properties. Bergen, Norway, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Butters and A.L. Wheatley. In N. Stanley-Wood and T. Allen, Eds., Particle Size Analysis, Wiley-Heyden, 425-436, Chichester, U.K. (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Allano, P. Lisiecki and M. Ledoux, Report No. 488201 SAT 2/CT, ONERA/CORIA, UA CNRS No. 230, Rouen, France (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.K.S. Shifrin, Izvestiya USSR Academy of Sciences, Ser. Geography, 14: 62 (1950).Google Scholar
- 12.J.B. Abiss, Theoretical aspects of the determination of particle size distribution from measurements of scattered light intensity. Technical Report 70151, Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough, England (1970).Google Scholar
- 14.A.L. Fymat and K.D. Mease, Reconstructing the size distribution of spherical particles from angular forward scattering data. In: “Remote sensing of the Atmosphere: Inversion methods and applications”, A.L. Fymat and V.E. Zuev, Eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam (1978).Google Scholar
- 16.L.V. Ruscello and E.D. Hirleman, Determining droplet size distributions of sprays with a photodiode array. Paper No. WWS/CI-81-49, Meeting of the Western States Section of the Combustion Institute, Tempe, Arizona, USA (1981).Google Scholar
- 17.L.P. Bayvel, A.R. Jones and P. Eisenklam, A light scattering instrument for measuring drop sizes. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Liquid Atomisation and Spray Systems, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 329-334 (1982).Google Scholar
- 18.Laser Electro-optics Ltd., Tempe, Arizona, USA.Google Scholar
- 20.2600 Particle Sizer User Manual, Malvern Instruments, Malvern, England.Google Scholar