Advertisement

A Simple Guideline for Treating Staghorn Stones

  • P. Puppo
  • P. Bottino
  • F. Germinale
  • C. Caviglia
  • G. Ricciotti

Abstract

The results and complications of 122 percutaneous debulkings of staghorn stones are carefully reviewed, discriminating between dilated and non-dilated kidneys. Percutaneous debulking was satisfactory in about 70% of cases. In the remaining 30% of cases (mostly non-dilated kidneys), debulking provided poor results. The overall complication rate is quite low, and most of the common complications can be prevented. Percutaneous procedures in non-dilated kidneys have a much higher overall complication rate than that of dilated kidneys.

The preferred procedures for staghorn stones (ESWL monotherapy, combined PCN/ESWL, or open surgery) should be selected according to the nature of the stone, the dilation of the renal collecting system, and previous surgery. Struvite stones in non-dilated kidneys should be treated by ESWL monotherapy. Other staghorn stones in non-operated, non-dilated kidneys should be treated surgically. All other cases should be approached by combined PCN/ESWL treatment.

Keywords

Shock Wave Lithotripsy Calcium Oxalate Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy Urinary Stone Nephrostomy Tube 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Bibliography

  1. Alken P, Scharfe T, Rorig J, et al: Staghorn stones: surgery or ES WL and PNL? Fifth World Congress on Endourology and ESWL. Cairo, November 1987.Google Scholar
  2. Chaussy C: Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy: Technical Concept, Experimental Research, and Clinical Application, Second Edition. Basel, Switzerland: Karger, 1986.Google Scholar
  3. Clayman RV, Surya V, Hunter D, et al: Renal vascular complication associated with the percutaneous removal of renal calculi. J Urol 132: 228, 1984.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  4. Eisenberger F, Fuchs G, Miller K, et al: Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) and endourology: an ideal combination for the treatment of kidney stones. World J Urol 3: 41, 1985.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. Giuliana L, Puppo P, Bottino P, et al: Staghorn stones: surgery or PCN and ESWL. In Giuliani L and Puppo P (eds): Controversies on the Management of Urinary Stones. Karger, in press.Google Scholar
  6. Griffith DP: ESWL: prevention of problematic side effects. In Giuliani L and Puppo P (eds): Controversies on the Management of Urinary Stones. Karger, in press.Google Scholar
  7. Groeneveld AE: ESWL monotherapy in large stone burdens. V World Congress on ESWL and Endourology. Cairo, November 1987.Google Scholar
  8. Lingeman JE and Newman DM: Management of staghorn calculi: should there be any controversy? V World Congress on ESWL and Endourology. Cairo, November 1987.Google Scholar
  9. Muschter R, Bunner G, Renner P, et al: ESWL without anesthesia. V World Congress on ESWL and Endourology. Cairo, November 1987.Google Scholar
  10. Puppo P, Bottino P, Germinale F, et al: Complication of percutaneous lithotripsy: prevention and treatment. In Giuliani L and Puppo P (eds): Controversies on the Management of Urinary Stones. Karger, in press.Google Scholar
  11. Reddy PK, Hulbert JC, Lange PH, et al: Percutaneous removal of renal and ureteral calculi: experience with 400 cases. J Urol 134: 662, 1985.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  12. Segura JW, Patterson DE, LeRoy AJ, et al: Percutaneous removal of kidney stones: review of 1,000 cases. J Urol 134: 1077, 1985.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  13. Snyder JA, Rosenblum JL, Smith AD: Endourologic removal of staghorn calculi in the elderly: analysis of 42 cases. J Endourol 1: 123, 1987.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  14. Snyder JA and Smith AD: Staghorn calculi: percutaneous extraction versus anatrophic lithotomy. J Urol 136: 351, 1986.PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1988

Authors and Affiliations

  • P. Puppo
    • 1
  • P. Bottino
    • 1
  • F. Germinale
    • 1
  • C. Caviglia
    • 1
  • G. Ricciotti
    • 1
  1. 1.Centro Calcolosi Clinica UrologicaUniversita di GenovaGenovaItalia

Personalised recommendations