Renal Transplantation Combined with Pancreas Transplantation: Is There a Clinical Indication?
Part of the Topics in Renal Medicine book series (TIRM, volume 6)
Most pancreas transplantations are currently made either simultaneously with a kidney transplant or after a successful kidney transplantation [1–3]. In the latter instance, a pancreas from a living related pancreas donor has in some cases been used . Kidney transplantation, if possible before dialysis, is the treatment of choice for terminal diabetic nephropathy [4–6]. If we are to combine this therapy with a pancreas transplantation, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
Patient and kidney graft survival must not be jeopardized
The pancreas graft must have a reasonable success rate
The procedure must give improved quality of life and/or improved prognosis
KeywordsDiabetic Nephropathy Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy Pancreas Transplantation Live Donor Kidney Live Donor Kidney Transplantation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brekke I, Dyrbekk D, Jakobsen A, Jervell J, Social G, Flatmark A: Combined pancreas and kidney transplantation for diabetic nephropathy. Transplant Proc 18: 63–64, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Traeger J, Dubernard JM, Bosi E, Secchi A, Gelet A, El Yafi S, Touraine JL, Pontiroli AE, Pozza G: Human segmental pancreatic transplantation for the treatment of insulin-dependent diabetes. In: Keen H, Legrain M (eds) Prevention and treatment of diabetic nephropathy. Lancester UK: MTP Press, 1983 pp 221–228.Google Scholar
- 5.Jervell J, Brekke I, Fauchald P, Flatmark A: Management of diabetic renal failure. In: Nattrass M. (ed) Recent advances in diabetes, vol 2. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1986, pp 151–162.Google Scholar
- 7.Dubernard JM, Traeger J, Bosi E, Gelet A, El Yafi S, Secchi A, Piatti PM, Ruitton AM, Touraine JL, Pozza G: The technique of neoprene injection for human pancreatic transplantation: experience in 40 cases. Transplant Proc 16: 684–686, 1984.Google Scholar
- 8.Kampik A, Ultig M: Is proliferative diabetic retinopathy an indication for pancreatic transplantation. Transplant Proc [Suppl 3] 18: 62–63, 1986.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 1988