The Course of Renal Function before and during Antihypertensive Treatment in Diabetic Nephropathy
Approximately 40% of all insulin-dependent diabetic (IDDM) patients ultimately develop the clinical syndrome of diabetic nephropathy: persistent proteinuria associated with a decline in glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and elevated blood pressure [1–3]. This complication is the main cause of the increased morbidity and mortality in IDDM patients . Renal failure due to nephropathy is the major cause of death (30%) in IDDM patients . On average, death occurs 7 years after the start of persistent proteinuria. During the last decade, our knowledge with respect to prediction, development, progression, and treatment of diabetic nephropathy has increased tremendously. This chapter reviews renal function before and during antihypertensive treatment.
KeywordsGlomerular Filtration Rate Diabetic Nephropathy Arterial Blood Pressure Antihypertensive Treatment IDDM Patient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Knowles HC: Magnitude of the renal failure problem in diabetes. Kidney Int 6: 2–7, 1974.Google Scholar
- 10.Parving H-H, Andersen AR, Hommel E, Smidt UM: The effect of antihypertensive treatment on diabetic nephropathy in insulin-dependent diabetic patients. In: Friedman EA, L’Esperance FA (eds) Diabetic renal-retinal syndrome. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1984, pp 183–190.Google Scholar
- 15.Reubi FC, Franz KA, Horber F: Hypertension as related to renal function in diabetes mellitus. Hypertension [Suppl 2] 7: 21–28, 1985.Google Scholar
- 18.Osterby R, Andersen AR, Gregersen G, Gundersen HJG, Hommel E, Horlyck A, Jorgensen HE, Lokkegârd H, Mogensen CE, Nyberg G, Parving H-H, Svalander C: Quantitative structural data on the development of diabetic nephropathy. Diabetic Nephropathy 5: 10–11, 1986.Google Scholar
- 25.Parving H-H, Andersen AR, Hommel-E, Smidt UM: Effects of long-term antihypertensive treatment on kidney function in diabetic nephropathy. Hypertension [Suppy 2] 7: 114–117, 1985.Google Scholar
- 33.Hostetter TH, Olsson JL, Rennke HG, Venkatachalam MA, Brenner BM: Hyperfiltration in remnant nephrons: a potentially adverse response to renal ablation. Am J Physiol 241: 85–93, 1981.Google Scholar
- 39.Bank N, Klose R, Aynedjian HS: Glomerular pressure in rats with diabetes and hypertension [abstr]. Kidney Int 27: 41, 1985.Google Scholar