The Computer: Guidance in Diagnosis and Therapy
The simplistic idea of a computer “making a diagnosis” has been replaced by the recognition that modern decision-support systems entail several related tasks: gathering data, identifying disease categories, assessing individual patient prognosis, suggesting further evaluations, and perhaps educating the physician.1–3 Decision support is no longer an unexplored topic; innumerable articles have been published on the subject, and national and international groups on decision-support systems have been established.
KeywordsCholesterol Fatigue Toxicity Arthritis Creatinine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.de Dombal, F. T. Towards a more objective evaluation of computer-aided decision support systems. In: Van Bemmel, Jan H.; Ball, Marion J.; Wigertz, Ove, eds Medinfo 83: Proceedings of the Fourth World Conference on Medical Informatics. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers, 1983:437.Google Scholar
- 2.Lusted, Lee B. Clinical decision making. In: de Dombal, F. T., Gremy, F., eds. Decision Making and Medical Care: Can Information Science Help? Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company, 1976:77–98.Google Scholar
- 3.Blois, Marsden S. Clinical judgment and computers. N Engl J Med Jul 24, 1980;303(4):192–197.Google Scholar
- 5.Shortliffe, Edward Hance. Computer-based Medical Consultations: MYCIN. New York: American Elsevier Publishing Company, Inc., 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.Yu, Victor L.; Fagan, Lawrence M.; Wraith, Sharon M., et al. Antimicrobial selection by a computer: A blinded evaluation by infectious diseases experts. JAMA Sep 21, 1979; 242 (12): 1279–1282.Google Scholar
- 8.Miller, Randolph A.; Pople, Harry E.; Myers, Jack D. INTERNIST-I, an experimental computer-based diagnostic consultant for general internal medicine. N Engl J Med Aug 19, 1982; 307 (8): 468–476.Google Scholar
- 10.Wilson, P. D.; Horrocks, Jane C.; Lyndon, P. J.; Yeung, C. K.; Page, R. E.;de Dombal, F. T. Simplified computer-aided diagnosis of acute abdominal pain. Br Med J Apr 12, 1975;2(5962):73–75 Google Scholar
- 11.McDonald, Clement J. Protocol-based computer reminders, the quality of care, and the non-perfectability of man. N Engl J Med Dec 9, 1976;295(24):13511355.Google Scholar
- 12.Weed, Lawrence L. Your Health Care and How to Manage It. Essex Junction, Vermont: Essex Publishing Company, Inc., 1978.Google Scholar