Absorption and Distribution of Phospholipids
Phospholipids are ubiquitous components in tissues and in a variety of foods. The amount and type of phospholipids in the diet may influence metabolic and physiologic processes in a number of ways, e.g. by influencing the metabolism and transport of other lipids or by affecting the formation of different cellular messengers. The absorption and distribution of phosphatidylcholine, the major phospholipid, has been studied extensively, but less is known about the transport of other phospholipids. In the following recent data on the dietary intake of phospholipids, the transport and metabolism of chyle phospholipids and on the assessment of phospholipid absorption in man will be briefly summarized.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Essential Fatty Acid Test Meal Short Bowel Syndrome Hepatic Lipase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abdulla, M., Andersson, I., Asp, N.G., Berthelsen, K., Birkhed, D., Dencker, I., Johansson, C.G., Jägerstad, M., Kolar, K., Nair, B.M., Nilsson-Ehle, P., Norden, Å., Rassner, S., Åkesson, B., and Öckerman, P.A., 1981, Nutrient intake and health status of vegans. Chemical analysis of diets using the duplicate portion sampling technique, Amer. J. Clin. Nutr., 34:2464.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Borgström, B., Nordén, Å., Åkesson, B., Abdulla, M., and Jägerstad, M., 1979, Nutrition and old age. Chemical analyses of what old people eat and their states of health during 6 years of follow-up, Scand. J. Gastroenterol., 14, suppl. 52:1.Google Scholar
- Landin, B., 1984, Studies on the hepatic metabolism of chylomicron phospholipids and chylomicron remnants in the rat, Thesis, University of Lund.Google Scholar
- Nilsson, Å.,1968, Intestinal absorption of lecithin and lysolecithin by lymph fistula rats, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 152:379.Google Scholar
- Nilsson, Å., Landin, B., Jensen, E., and Åkesson, B., 1987, Absorption and lymphatic transport of exogenous and endogenous arachidonic and linoleic acid in the rat, Amer. J. Physiol., 252:.Google Scholar
- Wurtman, J. J., 1979, Sources of Choline and Lecithin in the Diet, in: “Nutrition and the Brain”, vol. 5, A. Barbeau, J. H. Growdon, R. J. Wurtman, ed., pp. 73-81, Raven Press.Google Scholar