In the previous chapter, we learned about the normal volumes and compositions of body fluids and their distribution between various compartments. With this background, we are now in a position to consider the dynamics of fluid balance and the factors controlling their turnover, distribution, and shift between body fluid compartments.
KeywordsTotal Body Water Fluid Shift Oncotic Pressure Fluid Compartment Plasma Protein Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chapman WH, Bulger RE, Cutler RE, et al: The Urinary System, An Integrated Approach. Philadel- phia, WB Saunders Co, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.Deane N: Kidney and Electrolytes. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice-Hall, Inc, 1966.Google Scholar
- 8.Elkinton JR, Danowski T: The Body Fluids: Basic Physiology and Practical Therapeutics. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins Co, 1955.Google Scholar
- 11.Guyton AC: Textbook of Medical Physiology, ed 6. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1981.Google Scholar
- 13.Koushanpour E: Renal Physiology: Principles and Functions, ed 1. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co, 1976.Google Scholar
- 14.Landis EM, PappenheimerJR: Exchange of substances through the capillary walls, in Hamilton WF, Dow P (eds): Handbook of Physiology. vol 2, sec 2, Circu lation. American Physiological Society, 1963, ppGoogle Scholar
- 15.Mayerson HS: Physiologic importance of lymph, in Hamilton WF, Dow P (eds): Handbook of Physiology. vol 2, sec 2, Circulation. Washington DC, American Physiological Society, 1963, pp 1035–1073.Google Scholar
- 18.Renkin EM, Curry FE: Transport of water and solutes across capillary endothelium, in Giebisch G, Tosteson DC, Ussing HH (eds): Transport Organs, (Membr. Transport Biol. Ser.).Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1978, vol 4, pp 1–45.Google Scholar
- 23.Wiedemann MP, Tuma RF, Mayrovitz HN: An In troduction to Microcirculation. Biophysics and Bioengineering series, vol 2. New York, Academic Press, 1981, p 12 ff. PGoogle Scholar
- 24.Zweifach BW, Intaglietta M: Mechanics of fluid movement across single capillaries in the rabbit. Mi crovasc Res 1968; 1: 83–101.Google Scholar