Application of Multivariable Adaptive Control Schemes to Distillation Columns
Multivariable adaptive control schemes are applied to a binary distillation column. The theoretical background is briefly described. The results are compared with conventional PID-control and state-feedback control. It is shown that the application of adaptive control yields satisfactory disturbance rejection as well as considerable reduction of energy costs. By the high degree of maturity these adaptive techniques represent a powerful practical tool for the control engineer.
KeywordsAdaptive Control Distillation Column Adaptive Controller Controller Parameter Adaptive Control Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K.J. Aström, Introduction to Stochastic Control Academic Press, London, 1970.Google Scholar
- S.A. Dahlqvist, “Application of Selftuning Regulators to the Control of Distillation Columns,” Prepr. 6th IFAC/IFIP Int. Conf. on Digital Computer Appl. to Process Control, Düsseldorf, 1980.Google Scholar
- J.P. Gerry, E.F. Vogel and T.F. Edgar, “Adaptive Control of a Pilot Scale Distillation Column,” Proc. of the 1983 American Control Conference, San Francisco, 1983.Google Scholar
- V. Hahn, “Direct Adaptive Control Schemes for Discrete Time Control of Multivariable Systems,” (in German), Ph.D. Thesis, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, 1983.Google Scholar
- V. Hahn, “A Direct Adaptive Controller for Non-minimum Phase Multivariable Systems with Arbitrary Time Delays,” Proc. of the 7th IFAC/IFIP/IMACS Conference on Digital Computer Applications to Process Control, Wien, Sept. 1985.Google Scholar
- V. Hahn and H. Unbehauen, “Direct Adaptive Control of Non-minimum Phase Systems,” Prepr. IEEE Conf. on Applications of Adaptive and Multivariable Control, Hull, pp. 170–175, 1982.Google Scholar
- H.N. Koivo, “A Multivariable Self-tuning Controller,” Automatica 16, No. 4, pp. 351366, 1980.Google Scholar
- A.J. Morris, Y. Nazer, R.K. Wood and H. Lieuson, “Evaluation of Self-tuning Controllers for Distillation Column Control,” Prepr. 6th IFAC/IFIP Int. Conf. on Digital Computer Appl. to Process Control, Düsseldorf, 1980.Google Scholar
- B.B. Peterson and K.S. Narendra, “Bounded Error Adaptive Control,” IEEE Trans. on Aut. Contr. 27, pp. 1161–1168, 1982.Google Scholar
- C.E. Rohrs and K. Shortelle, “Conditioning a Plant for Frequency Selective Adaptive Control with Improved Robustness,” Proc. of the 1984 American Control Conference, San Diego, pp. 1579–1583, 1984.Google Scholar
- V.A. Sastry, D.E. Seborg and R.K. Wood, “Self-tuning Regulator Applied to a Binary Distillation Column,” Automatica 13, pp. 417–424, 1977.Google Scholar
- D.R. Yang and W. Lee, “Experimental Investigation of Adaptive Control of a Distillation Column,” Proc. of the 1984 American Control Conference, San Diego, pp. 893–898, 1984.Google Scholar