Issues in Control Design for Large Space Structures
The development of a design methodology for the control of Large Space Structures (LSS) involves many different issues. In this paper we present a selective discussion of the theoretical and practical issues that seem most relevant. The discussions cover various types of control design procedures, including both robust (non-adaptive) as well as adaptive, with an emphasis on their practical use.
KeywordsModel Error Adaptive Control Close Loop System Control Design Stability Margin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Active Control of Space Structures (ACOSS),“ Phase lA final report, Prepared by LMSC for Darpa under contract F30602–80-C-0087, Aug. 1981.Google Scholar
- J.N. Aubrun, et al., “Stability Augmentation for Flexible Space Structures,” Proceedings of the IEEE CDC, Hollywood, Fl., Dec. 1979.Google Scholar
- R.L. Kosut, H. Salzwedal, and A. Emami, “Robust Control of Flexible Spacecraft,” AIAA J. of Guidance and Control, vol. 6, No. 2, Mar-April 1983.Google Scholar
- B.C. Moore, “Principal component Analysis in Linear Systems: Controllability, Observability, and Model Reduction,” IEEE Trans. on Autom. Control, AC-26, Feb. 1981.Google Scholar
- C.Z. Gregory, Jr., “Reduction of Large Flexible Spacecraft Models Using Internal Balancing Theory,” AIAA J. of Guidance and Control, vol. 7, No. 6, Nov-Dec. 1984.Google Scholar
- N.K. Gupta, “Frequency Shaped Cost Functionals: Extensions of LQG Methods,” AIAA J. of Guidance and Control, pp. 529–535, Nov-Dec. 1980.Google Scholar
- J.C. Doyle, “Structured Uncertainty in Control Design,” IFAC Workshop on Model Error Compensation, Boston, Ma., June 1985.Google Scholar
- R.L. Kosut and M.G. Lyons, “Adaptive Techniques for Control of Large Space Structures,” ISI Report 50 for AFOSR, under contracts F49620–83-C-0107, F49620–84-C0054.Google Scholar
- R.L. Kosut and C.R. Johnson, Jr., “An Input-Output View of Robustness in Adaptive Control,” Automatica, vol. 20, No. 5, Oct. 1984.Google Scholar