The Role of Prostaglandins in the Respiratory System
The platelets survival time, as measured with isotopic and metabolic methods, is often shortened in patients with chronic respiratory diseases. Platelets overconsumption may be due to alterations of the intimai membranes of the pulmonary arteries, or to variations in the response of platelets themselves1,2 . This situation is likely to contribute to the pulmonary damage, by causing the continuous formation of microthrombi reducing the arterial blood supply to the lungs: it is, then, obviously responsible of the dramatic episodes of massive thrombosis of the large pulmonary arteries3,4.
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Acetylsalicylic Acid Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease Affect Platelet Aggregation ANTIAGGREGATING Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. Tremoli, L. Bertoli, F. Conti, R. Merlini, O. Mantero, Platelet antiaggregating therapy in chronic obstructive lung disease,.in press, 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.C.A. Wagenvoort, D. Heath, J.E. Edwards, “The pathology of the pulmonary vasculature”, Springfield, Charles C. Thomas, Publ., 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.J.R. Vane, Inhibitors of prostaglandin, prostacyclin and thromboxane synthesis, in “Adv. Prostaglandin and Thromboxane Research”, vol. IV, pp. 27–44, 1978, Raven Press, N.Y.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Hamberg, J. Svensson and B. Samuelsson, Novel transformation of prostaglandin endoperoxides: formation of thromboxanes, in “Adv. Prostaglandins and Thromboxane Research”, vol. 1, pp. 19–27 (B. Samuelsson and R. Paoletti, eds.), Raven Press, N.Y. 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Borgeat and B. Samuelsson, Metabolism of arachidonic acid in polimorphonuclear leukocytes. Isolation of novel hydroxy-lated compounds, 4th International Conference on Prostaglandins, Washington, D.C.,U.S.A., 1979.Google Scholar
- 17.M. All, J.W.D. McDonald, Steroid hormones, antiinflammatory steroids and prostaglandins, J. Lab. Clin. Med., 89, 868–875, 1977.Google Scholar
- 21.Sulfinpyrazone in the prevention of cardiac death after myocardial infarction. Anturane reinfarction trial research group, N. Engl. J. Med., 298, 289–295, 1977.Google Scholar
- 23.P. Ramwell, Washington University, personal communication.Google Scholar
- 26.R.S. Mitchell, G.W. Silvers, G.A. Dart, T.L. Petty, T.N. Vincent, S.F. Ryan and G.F. Filley, Clinical and morphological correlations in chronic airway obstruction, Am. Rev. Resp. Dis., 97, 54–60, 1968.Google Scholar