Pathology of the Kidney in Profiling Acute Renal Failure (Acute Uremia)
Acute renal failure (ARF) is an altered physiological state resulting from rapid but generally reversible decline of the regulatory functions of both kidneys or of a solitary kidney. Acute uremia is a clinical syndrome manifested by sudden onset of oliguria or anuria (24-hr urine output of less than 400 or 100 ml, respectively) for more than four successive days coupled with elevated values of serum urea nitrogen and serum creatinine.
KeywordsAcute Renal Failure Renal Biopsy Disseminate Intravascular Coagulation Acute Tubular Necrosis Crescentic Glomerulonephritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bohle, A., Jahnecke, J., Meyer, D., and Schubert, G. E.: Morphology of acute renal failure: Comparative data from biopsy and autopsy. Kidney Int. 10: 9 (Suppl. 6), 1976.Google Scholar
- Conte, J., Deisol, J., Mignon-Conte, M., Ton That, H., and Suc, J. M.: Acute renal failure and intravascular coagulation. In Advances in Nephrology, Vol. 3. Yearbook, Chicago, 1974, p. 197.Google Scholar
- Flamenbaum, W., Hamburger, R. J., Huddleston, M. L., Kaufman, J., McNeil, J. S., Schwartz, J. H., and Nagle, R.: The initiation phase of experimental acute renal failure: An evaluation of uranyl nitrate-induced acute renal failure in the rat. Kidney Int. 10: 115 (Suppl. 6), 1976.Google Scholar
- Gabow, P. A., Anderson, R. J., and Schrier, R. W.: Acute renal failure. Cardiovasc. Med. 2: 1161, 1977.Google Scholar
- Kimmelstiel, P.: Acute hemotogenous interstitial nephritis. Amer. J. Pathol. 14: 737, 1938.Google Scholar
- Mandal, A. K.: Diagnosis and management of acute renal failure. J. Indian Med. Assoc. 66: 204, 1976. Mattem, W. D., Sommers, S. C., and Kassirer, J. P.: Oliguric acute renal failure in malignant hypertension. Am. J. Med. 52:187, 1972.Google Scholar
- Muehrcke, R. C.: Intrinsic renal disease. In Acute Renal Failure. Mosby, St. Louis, Missouri, 1969, pp. 42, 61, 79, 80.Google Scholar
- Oken, D. E.: Local mechanisms in the pathogenesis of acute renal failure. Kidney Int. 10: 94 (Suppl. 6), 1976.Google Scholar
- Olsen, S.: Renal histopathology in various forms of acute anuria in man. Kidney Int. 10:S-2 (Suppl. 6), 1976.Google Scholar
- Reubi, F. C., and Vorburger, Co.: Renal hemodynamics in acute renal failure after shock in man. Kidney Int. 10 :S-137 (Suppl. 6 ), 1976.Google Scholar
- Stein, J. H., and Sorkin, M.: Pathophysiology of a vasomotor and nephrotoxic model of acute renal failure in the dog. Kidney Int. 10: 86 (Suppl. 6), 1976.Google Scholar
- Wardle, E. N.: Intravascular coagulation in experimental acute renal failure. Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh. 29: 279, 1973.Google Scholar