Some Nonlinear Effects in Tearing Mode Instability
Part of the Nobel Symposium Committee (1976) book series (NOFS, volume 36)
Two nonlinear effects which may be of relevance in the development of tearing mode instability are discussed:
The possible relevance of the latter process to disruptive instability in tokamaks is also discussed.
effect of a given background turbulence of drift waves on the growth of tearing modes, and
effect of a plasma flow towards the X points on nonlinear growth of tearing modes.
KeywordsPlasma Flow Toroidal Field Magnetic Island Nonlinear Growth Drift Wave
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. V. Mirnov and I. V. Semenov, in Plasma Physics and Controlled Nuclear Fusion Research ( International Atomic Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1971 ), Vol. II, p. 401.Google Scholar
- 2.P. A. Sweet, in Electromagnetic Phenomena in Cosmical Physics, ed. by B. Lehnert, p. 123, Cambridge University Press, London, 1958Google Scholar
- H. E. Petschek, AAS-NASA Symposium on the Ph sacs of Solar Flares, NASA Spec. Publ, SP-50, 425 (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.V. M. Vasylianas, Revs. of Geophys. and Space Physics 13, 303 (1975); also private communication, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.P. H. Rutherford and H. P. Furth, Princeton PPL Report MATT-872 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.B. B. Kadomtsev and O. P. Pogutse, in Reviews of Plasma Physics, ed. by M. A. Leontovich ( Consultants Bureau, N.Y. 1970 ), 5 346.Google Scholar
- 9.R. White, D. Monticello, M. N. Rosenbluth, H. Strauss, B. B. Kadomtsev, Fifth International Conference on Plasma Physics and Controlled Nuclear Fusion Research, A13–2, Tokyo (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.R. M. Kulsrud, Proc. of the International School of Physics Enrico Terni Course XXXIX ( Academic Press, New York, 1967 ), 46.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1977