Localized Moments in Metals: Crystal Field Excitations and Their Coupling to Electrons and Phonons
In these lectures we want to consider metallic systems with well localized magnetic moments. In particular we are interested in effects which are caused by the crystalline electric field (CEF) prevailing at the locations of the moments. Such a field is set up by the surroundings of the ion containing the local moment and it acts on the orbital parts of the wave function describing the moment. When it is larger than the spinorbit coupling it leads to a quenching of the orbital moment (transition metal ions), but when the spinorbit coupling is larger (rare earth ions) the CEF leads to lifting of the ground state degeneracy (Stark splitting). It is the coupling of these CEF split energy levels with conduction electrons and phonons which leads to a large number of interesting effects.
KeywordsFaraday Rotation Magnetoelastic Interaction Crystalline Electric Field Spinorbit Coupling Central Peak Intensity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
1) Recent review articles
- Cooper, B.R., 1972, in “Magnetic Properties of Rare-Earth Metals”, R.J. Elliott, ed., Plenum Press, London and New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Fulde, P., 1978, Chapter 17 in “Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths”, K.A. Gschneidner and L. Eyring, ed., North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, New York, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Lüthi, B., 1980, Chapter 4 in “Dynamical Properties of Solids,” Vol. 3, G.K. Horton and A.A. Maradudin, ed., North-Holland Publ. Company, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford.Google Scholar
2) In the following we list only a few selected references which can not be found in any of the review articles. The list is certainly not complete.
- II.1Forgan, E.M., 1981, Physica (Utrecht), B107:65 Fulde, P.,and Jensen, J., 1983, Phys. Rev.,B 27: 4085Google Scholar
- II.3Becker, K., Fulde, P., and Keller,J.,1977, Z. Physik B 28: 9Google Scholar
- Becker, K., 1980, Habilitationsschrift, Universität RegensburgGoogle Scholar
- Becker, K., and Keller, J., 1982 in “Crystalline Electric Field Effects in f-Electron Magnetism”, R.P. Guertin, W.Suski and Z.Zolnierek, ed. Plenum Press, New York and LondonGoogle Scholar
- Zevin, V. and Barbay, E., 1980, Z.Phys., B 39: 173Google Scholar
- Feile, R., Kjems, J., Loewenhaupt, M., and Hoenig, H.E., 1981, Phys. Rev. Lett., 47: 610Google Scholar
- III.3Lüthi, B., and Lingner, C., 1979, Z. Phys. B 34:157 Camley, R., and Fulde, P.,(to be published )Google Scholar
- III.3Loewenhaupt, M., Rainford B.R. and Steglich,F., 1979, Phys. Rev. Lett., 42: 1709Google Scholar
- Reichardt, W., (to be published)Google Scholar
- Thalmeier, P., and Fulde, P., 1982, Phys.Rev.Lett., 49: 1588Google Scholar