On the Boson-Fermion Interaction
Since it has become increasingly evident that the IBA model and its extension to odd-A nuclei provides at the level of phenomenology an extremely successful description of nuclear collective phenomena, a microscopic understanding of the model is clearly of considerable interest. For the case of even-even nuclei Arima et al.1 have proposed a method to derive the main properties of the boson-boson interaction from a shell model picture. Application of this method by Otsuka2 to realistic cases has been shown to give promising results. In the present contribution the boson-fermion3 interaction, that enters in the description of odd-A nuclei, is derived from the shell model interaction between fermions. The latter has two main characteristics: i) a strong pairing force between the like nucleons, and ii) a quadrupole-quadrupole interaction between neutrons and protons. In terms of boson-boson interactions the former gives rise to attractive binding energies of the s- and d-bosons, whereas the latter leads to the quadrupole-quadrupole force between the neutron and proton bosons. It will be shown in this contribution that this interaction also plays a dominant role in the coupling of the odd-fermion to the bosons in the core4.
KeywordsShell Model Creation Operator Quadrupole Operator Seniority State Radial Matrix Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Arima, T. Otsuka, F. Iachello and I. Talmi, Phys. Lett. 66B (1977), 205;Google Scholar
- T. Otsuka, A. Arima and F. Iachello, Nucl. Phys. A309 (1978), 1.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Otsuka, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Tokyo, 1979 and to be published;Google Scholar
- T. Otsuka in “Interacting Bosons in Nuclear Physics”, F. Iachello, ed., Plenum Press, New York (1978), p. 93 and this conference.Google Scholar
- 4.I. Talmi, private communication and preceding contribution to the conference.Google Scholar
- 5.Scholten, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Groningen, 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.L.S. Kisslinger and R.A. Sorensen, Rev. Mod. Phys. 35 (1963), 853;Google Scholar
- L.S. Kisslinger and K. Kumar, Phys. Rev. Lett. 19 (1967), 1239.Google Scholar
- 7.Scholten, contribution to this conference.Google Scholar
- 8.Scholten, KVI Ann. Rep. 1979, p. 105.Google Scholar