The Pineal Gland and Sexual Function in Man
The pineal gland has potent effects on the pituitary — gonadal system in many different species (1). In some situations it seems clear that these effects are mediated by melatonin secreted by the pineal gland (2).
KeywordsSexual Function Pineal Gland Precocious Puberty Pubic Hair Plasma Melatonin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.J. Reiter, The pineal and its hormones in the control of reproduction in mammals, Endocr Rev 1: 109–131 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.L. Tamarkin, C.W. Hollister, N.G. Lefebvre, and B.D. Goldman, Melatonin induction of gonadal quiescence in pinealectomized Syrian hamsters, Science 198: 935–936 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.I.J. Kopin, C.M.B. Pare, J. Axelrod, and H. Weissbach, The fate of melatonin in animals, J Biol Chem 236: 3072–3075 (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Tetsuo, S.P. Markey, R.W. Colburn, and I.J. Kopin, Quantitative analysis of 6-hydroxymelatonin in human urine by gas chromatography-negative chemical ionization mass spectrometry, Analyt Biochem 109: 208–215 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Tetsuo, M.J. Perlow, M. Mishkin, and S.P. Markey, Light exposure reduces and pinealectomy virtually stop urinary excretion of 6-hydroxymelatonin by Rhesus monkey, Endocrinology 110: 997–1001 (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Tetsuo, S.P. Markey, R.W. Colburn, and I.J. Kopin, Measurement of 6-hydroxymelatonin in human urine and its diurnal variations, Life Sciences 27: 105–109 (1980).Google Scholar
- R.E. Silman, R.M. Leone, R.M. Hooper, and M.A. Preece, Melatonin, the pineal gland and human puberty, Nature Lond 282: 301–303 (1979).Google Scholar
- 13.J.M. Tanner, “Foetus into Man,” Harvard University Press, Cambridge (1978).Google Scholar
- 14.L. Wetterburg, J. Arendt, L. Pamnier, P.C. Sizenenko, W. VanDonselaar and T. Heyden, Human serum melatonin changes during the menstrual cycle, J Clin Endocr Metab 42: 752–764 (1976).Google Scholar