Isozymes of Alcohol Dehydrogenase and Aldehyde Dehydrogenase in Japanese and their Role in Alcohol Sensitivity
Racial differences in alcohol sensitivity have been described by many authors (Wolff, 1973; Ewing et al., 1974). Variant forms of alcohol metabolizing enzymes have been proposed to play an important role in sensitivity to alcohol associated with facial flushing and other subjective symptoms (Stamatoyannopoulos et al., 1975; Goedde et al., 1979b; Harada et al., 1979).
KeywordsHair Root Isozyme Pattern Facial Flushing Alcohol Sensitivity Scalp Skin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agarwal, D.P., S. Harada, I. Willers, and H.W. Goedde, 1978, Human alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes in cultured fibroblasts and tissues, Arch. Genet., 51: 1.Google Scholar
- Harada, S., D.P. Agarwal, and H.W. Goedde, 1978a, Application of gel isoelectric focusing and electrophoresis in the study of alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase isozymes of human tissues and fibroblasts, in: “Electrophoresis 78”, Catsimpoolas, ed., Elsevier North Holland, Inc., NY.Google Scholar
- Harada, S., D.P. Agarwal, and H.W. Goedde, 1978c4 Isozyme variations in acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (E.C. 188.8.131.52) in human tissues, Hum. Genet., 44: 181.Google Scholar
- Harada, S., S. Misawa, D.P. Agarwal, and H.W. Goedde, 1980, Liver alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase in Japanese: Isozyme variation and its possible role in alcohol intoxication, Am. J. Human Genet. in press.Google Scholar
- Ijiri, I., 1974, Studies on the relationship between the concentrations of blood acetaldehyde and urinary catecholamine and the symptoms after drinking alcohol, Jap. J. Stud. Alcohol, 9: 35.Google Scholar
- Schulz, W., S. Kreuzberg, H.G. Neymeyer, U. Schwarz, and P. Pachaly, 1976, Uber die Hayfigkeit der atypischen ADH in Leberbiopsie-material und den Einflub auf den Athanolumsatz in vivo, Kriminalistik und forensische Wissenschaften, 26: 109.Google Scholar
- Von Wartburg, J.P., J. Papenberg, and H. Aebi, 1965, An atypical human alcohol dehydrogenase, Can. J. Biochem. 43:889.Google Scholar