Kinetic Studies on NADPH-Linked Aldehyde Reductase from Human Liver
The mechanism of D-glucuronate reduction by human liver NADPH-dependent aldehyde reductase was investigated. At pH 7.4 the Km values for NADPH, NADP+, D-glucuronate and L-gulonate were 2.2 μM, 6 μM, 3.2 mM and 6 mM, respectively. Product inhibition studies in the forward direction (reduction of glucuronate) gave a competitive pattern for the inhibition of NADPH oxidation by NADP+ and non-competitive patterns for the other three inhibitions. In the backward direction all patterns appeared to be competitive. Deuterium isotope effects were dependent on the concentration of D-glucuronate and decreased to unity at infinite concentrations of D-glucuronate. Our findings suggest for aldehyde reductase a kinetic mechanism with sequential ordered binding of NADPH and D-glucuronate and random dissociation of NADP+ and L-gulonate.
KeywordsHuman Liver Product Inhibition Aldehyde Reductase Horse Liver Deuterium Isotope Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brändén, C. I., Jtirnvall, H., Eklund, H. and Furugren, B., 1975, Alcohol dehydrogenases, The Enzymes 3rd ed., 11:103.Google Scholar
- Bronaugh, R. L. and Erwin, V. G., 1972, Further characterization of an NADPH-dependent aldehyde reductase from bovine brain, Biochem. Pharmac., 21: 1457.Google Scholar
- Cleland, W. W., 1973, The kinetics of enzyme-catalyzed reactions with two or more substrates or products, Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 67: 104.Google Scholar
- Davidson, W. S. and Flynn, T. G., 1979, Kinetics and mechanism of action of aldehyde reductase from pig kidney, Biochem. J., 177: 595.Google Scholar
- Dubied, A., von Wartburg, J.-P., Bohlken, D. P. and Plapp, B. V., 1977, Characterization and kinetics of native and chemically activated human liver alcohol dehydrogenase, J. Biol. Chem., 252: 1464.Google Scholar
- Prairie, R. L. and Lai, D. K., 1973, Kinetic properties of TPNHlinked aldehyde reductase, Fed. Proc., 32: 606.Google Scholar
- Wermuth, B., Münch, J. D. B. and von Wartburg, J.-P., 1977, Purification and properties of NADPH dependent aldehyde reductase from human liver, J. Biol. Chem., 252: 3821.Google Scholar
- Wermuth, B. and von Wartbur, J.-P., 1978, Kinetic studies on NADPHdependent aldehyde reductase from human liver, Experientia, 34: 919.Google Scholar