Supervisory Control of Single Axis Controllers for Modular Robotic Systems Using a Serial Interface
A microprocessor-based controller for a range of pneumatically-actuated, servo-controlled, single degree of freedom, modular robotic units is now available in commercial form. This product, known as a single axis controller (SAC), is the result of SERC sponsored collaborative work by the Department of Engineering Production at Loughborough University of Technology (LUT) and Martonair UK. To co-ordinate the activities of a number of these units a supervisory controller is required. Such supervisors may communicate with SACs via either a serial or a parallel interface. This paper describes the facilities available to a supervisory controller using the serial interface and provides an example of their use.
KeywordsSupervisory Control Serial Port Metal Ring Ready Signal Serial Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Moore P R, Weston R H, Thatcher T W and Gascoigne J D (1983) Modular Robot Systems Proceedings of 2nd IASTED International Symposium on Robotics and Automation. Lugano, Switzerland, June.Google Scholar
- Weston R H, Moore P R, Thatcher T W and Morgan G (1984) Computer-controlled Pneumatic Servo-drives Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 198B, 14.Google Scholar
- Harrison R, Weston R H, Moore P R and Thatcher T W (1986) The Industrial Application of Pneumatic Servo-controlled Modular Robots Advances in Manufacturing Technology, Kogan Page, London, pp 229–236.Google Scholar
- Morgan G (1985) Programmable positioning of Pneumatic actuators Journal of Applied Pneumatics, Vol. 11, 82, May.Google Scholar
- Thatcher T W, Weston R H, Moore P R and Harrison R (1985) Single Axis Controllers for Modular Workhandling Systems Proceedings of 7th IASTED International Symposium on Robotics and Automation, Lugano, Switzerland, June.Google Scholar