Simulation Model of the Plunge Centreless Grinding Process
A model that simulates the plunge centreless grinding operation is described with equations based on the static characteristics of the process. The model may be visualized by representing a grinding machine in which the grinding wheel advances toward the control wheel and work-blade during the in-feed cycle. Also incorporated is an oscillatory motion of the grinding wheel about its axis in the transverse horizontal direction dependent on the amount of unbalance present at the wheel. Work-piece speed, geometric configuration and grin ding-wheel unbalance were varied while other process parameters were held constant. The criteria for assessing the outcome were based on workpiece roundness and the output from simulation tests were computed roundness traces. Data obtained revealed that the geometric configuration was more influential than grinding-wheel unbalance in governing the number of waves on the workpiece. For a given geometric configuration, and wheel and workpiece rotational speeds, it is possible to predict the final roundness profile of a component by using this model.
KeywordsManufacture Technology Geometric Configuration Unbalance Mass Simulation Simulation Grinding Wheel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gill R (1984) Internal report on plunge centreless grinding. Coventry (Lanchester) Polytechnic, November.Google Scholar
- Spraggett S (1979) Development and application of a rig for the investigation of the centreless grinding process. PhD Thesis, Coventry (Lanchester) Polytechnic.Google Scholar
- Rowe W B (1964) Some studies of the centreless grinding process with particular reference to the roundness accuracy. PhD Thesis, University of Manchester, May.Google Scholar
- Becker, E A (1965) Krafte and Kreisformfehler beim spitzenlosen Einstechshleifen. Dissertation T H Aachen.Google Scholar
- Kaliszer H & Singh al P D (1967) Contribution to the analysis of waviness generated during grinding. Annals of the CIRP, 15 (3), 245–251.Google Scholar
- Gill R & Spraggett S (1985) The process parameter hierarchy in plunge centreless grinding. 2nd Int. Conf. Advances in Manufacturing Technology University of Ulster, September 1985.Google Scholar