Computer-Assisted Digital Simulation of an FMS by Using Graphics
This paper looks at the research and development of a digital simulation and a way of improving the display of the results by the use of graphical displays for both the proposed plant layout and the animation of the simulation. The animation is produced on a three-dimensional detailed robotic simulator allowing the detailed plant layout of the proposed flexible manufacturing system to be studied. Consequently, more accurate transportation times can be achieved and used for a more predictive digital simulation. Hence, an iterative approach has been taken to the problem.
KeywordsMachine Tool Flexible Manufacturing System Part Type Automatic Guide Vehicle Digital Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mills R I (1983) Computer simulation: a feasibility and planning tool for FMS. Proc. of 2nd Int. Conf. on Flexible Manufacturing Systems London, pp.185-196, October.Google Scholar
- Browne J and Rathmill K (1980) The use of simulation modelling as a design tool for FMS. AUE Transaction, 12 (4), 339–350.Google Scholar
- Foyer P (1983) Getting started in FMS. Proc. of 1st Int. Conf on Flexible Manufacturing Systems Brighton, pp.137-150, October.Google Scholar
- Pegels C C (1976) System Analysis for Production Operation Gordon and Breach Science Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Yong Y F, Bonney M C and Knight J A G (1983) GRASP: a design tool for FMS. Proc. 1st Autofact Conf Geneva.Google Scholar
- Rusby N A (1984) A computer assisted digital simulation of an FMS using graphics. BSc Thesis, University of Nottingham.Google Scholar